Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wsjack3
Beginner
Message 1 of 25

Additonal Line Stability?

Go to solution
Been on the phone tonight for the 7th time in a month and a half. I've recently moved address and moved my broadband too. Since the move the smart hub drops out all the time.

Anyway, after a lengthy chat going over the same things again and again and many periods on hold, the guy tells me he's placed an order for additional line stability.

I asked when I needed to be in for this to be sorted and he told me it wasn't something an engineer(I'd been asking for one) would do, just something they apply. He said it'll be applied before tomorrow midnight, all i need to do is reboot on Friday morning and all should be fixed.

I've looked online since and can find no mention of this "additional line stability" so has the guy just fobbed me off after being on the phone to him for an hour or is this genuine?

He seemed to not want to send an engineer for some reason.

I'm at my wits end with this, i just want a stable connection again!
0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: Additonal Line Stability?

Go to solution

Haven't heard that one before, must be their latest way to fob you off!

0 Ratings
wsjack3
Beginner
Message 3 of 25

Go to solution
Urgh! Absolutely rediculous considering I pay £40 a month. I think I have grounds to cancel my contract without paying the penalty fee now.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

Go to solution

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

or

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

Is there any noise on your phone line? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Try connecting to the master socket/ test socket and if your problem is still there it could indicate that there is a line fault before the test socket on BT's side.

Test socket.jpg

When you use the test socket make sure that any telephone extensions you have are "dead". There should be no dial tone at any of your phone extensions. If they have a dial tone it means you have star wiring and that is not good for Infinity and will need to be fixed.

0 Ratings
wsjack3
Beginner
Message 5 of 25

Go to solution
Not at the property at the moment so can't go on the hub manager yet. Also, don't have a landline at the property so can't do the line test.

Using test socket already.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 25

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

I suppose its vaguely possible that they may have been referring to setting the target SNRM to 9dB or 12dB rather than 6dB, but I don't know if that is available on Infinity although I think it might be available for ADSL.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 25

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

I suppose its vaguely possible that they may have been referring to setting the target SNRM to 9dB or 12dB rather than 6dB, but I don't know if that is available on Infinity although I think it might be available for ADSL.

Never heard of CS doing that or saying they will change it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 25

Go to solution

One of the first test us to make sure you have a dial tone and if so is line noisy so an investment of about £5 for a cheap corded phone could save you the engineer callout fee of £129.99 as you can make sure problem is not your line within your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 25

Go to solution

@wsjack3 wrote:
Not at the property at the moment so can't go on the hub manager yet. Also, don't have a landline at the property so can't do the line test.

Using test socket already.

When you say you don't have a landline I presume you mean landline phone in order to carry out the test?

If that is the case you really need to buy a phone, they only cost about £5. It is important to establish if the line is clear.

0 Ratings
wsjack3
Beginner
Message 10 of 25

Go to solution
Yes we have no landline phone. I'm sure I can get one from a friend for testing purposes.
0 Ratings