Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lorielus
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Advice on Communicating with BT Tech Suppot

Hi all,

Long story short, I'm having intermittent speed problems with my connection - it already maxes out at a paltry ~20Mbs, but for 30min periods or so it's been dropping to 2-3Mbs with a latency of 2-3000ms (normal operation sees it at aboutn 16ms).  This was happening once every couple of days, then every couple of hours, now probably averaging every hour.

I've been in touch a few times with tech support, who just test the line (when it's not occurring), say it's all fine and send me on my way.

From the last couple of conversations I've had with them - one on the phone, two online chat (figuring it might be clearer to communicate in print), it's clear they're not understanding that the problem is intermittent as they've logged the issue as "not happy with maximum speed" (which to be fair is also true, given they advertised guaranteed minimum 73Mbs, but that's a whole other issue).

From anyone with experience, can you think of a way I can get tech support to understand that the problem is intermittent rather than constant?  I've captured it happening through the BT wholesale speedtest a few times, which I thought they had access to the results of, but the agents I've spoken to don't appear to know what that is.  I've tried phrasing it as "intermittent", "coming and going", "fine for a while then dropping out", "dropping out regularly after being ok for a while", and about a dozen other colloquial ways.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Advice on Communicating with BT Tech Suppot

Post stats from your hub. If hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information 

enter your phone number and post results remember delete number but leave exchange and cab

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Are you using test socket with a filter to see if that improves your connection even if you have a filtered master socket

try quite line test. Dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Lorielus
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

I've used the normal socket and test socket - no change.  I've also done the quiet line test (no noise that I can hear).  For clarity, there are no extension sockets anywhere in the house and the router usually is connected directly to the line (i.e. rather than through a microfilter).

Wholesale test:

https://imgur.com/4UPmADe

Capture.PNGCurrent hub technical log information:

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ62388603

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B540

Firmware updated:

23-May-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 11 Hours 52 Minutes 18 Seconds

Data rate:

1.19 Mbps / 23.64 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

1187 / 24858

Noise margin:

6 dB / 3.4 dB

Line attenuation:

29.8 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

802 MB Uploaded / 1641 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-W895

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-W895

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

90:4D:4A:2B:43:85

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

I've also just noticed on the event log that it's registering a lot of connect/disconnects from ethernet port 4 - assuming that goes by the numbering on the back of the router (and that I'm interpreting the log properly), nothing is plugged into that ethernet port (from memory, I don't think anything has ever been plugged in there in the entire life of the modem.

Log.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

from your stats the attainable is only 24mb so being on infinity 2 is pointless as you cannot get the loweer package max of 55mb  consider downgrading!

can you conenct to test socket with filter and post results  see if improve attainable speed

cannot see your link can you just post the dslchecker results here  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Lorielus
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Sorry I'm afraid I'm not following - the issue isn't with the max attainable speed (usually about 21Mbs), it's about the drop to 2-3Mbs regularly happening with the associated 2-3k latency?

(The link was just a backup link to the wholesale test image which is shown in the post).

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html isn't accurate for my property for whatever reason - for example it records that FTTP is available, but it's actually primeval alumnium cabling that goes from the cabinet to my property (i.e. not even copper, let along fibre).

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 9

Are you sure it's not recording FTTPoD as available? That's entirely different to residential FTTP.

Why do you have a problem just posting the result?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

is it FTTP or FTTPoD which is totally different and as you have FTTC then it is more likely latter rather than former

only by seeing checker results and we see what BT expect you to get  what estimated range did BT give in initial letter?

0 Ratings
Lorielus
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

As below, must be on demand (a bargain at £39k when I asked through Cerebrus about it when the new pricing structure came out):

BTW.PNG

It's important to note though that this is secondary to the actual issue I'm having, which is the regular slowdowns, any ideas from the logs/settings as to the cause/solution?

0 Ratings
Lorielus
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

To underline my initial problem:

I've currently on with BT Tech support.  No matter what I tell them, all they do is test the line and ask me to run the speed test through wholesale.  The issue isn't occurring right now so shows as normal - they say nothing is wrong.  How do I get through to someone who can understand what an interrmittent problem is?  Who do I call/contact?

0 Ratings