cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 14

Re: Advice on slow connection package fiber 2

When BT refer to your download speed, they are actually talking about your line speed, as explained on that help page.

Your download speed is 22.17Mbs as shown on your data rate.

Data rate:

4.23 Mbps / 22.17 Mbps

That is within the 19Mb to 27Mb estimate.

Is that socket that you showed on your picture, the only socket in the house?

0 Ratings
Doookie
Message 12 of 14

then why did my download speeds go down by half overnight? programs like steam I were downloading my games at around 5mb per second, Never seen it go more than 2.5 now (tested with other platforms also) my last question is, am I wasting money on fibre when I can't really get the best out of it. If I get standard broadband, I will guess it will be way, way slower and probably take a week to download an AAA title game. This is all confusing to me when a people around the corner have way faster connection speeds. and a college probably 1000 meters away has the fastest connections overall.
0 Ratings
Doookie
Message 13 of 14

Yes, sorry that is the socket I have in my house. there is 1 in the front room but it does not work.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 14

@Doookie wrote:

Yes, sorry that is the socket I have in my house. there is 1 in the front room but it does not work.

As long that its not connected to your phone line at any point. It might be worth tracing the wire to see where it goes, as any extra wires connected to your phone line, even if the socket does not work, will affect your connection speed.

Download speed from a remote server is going to slow down as more users connect to it.

5MB download speed would require a 40Mb line rate, which you do not have. When did you move to your current address?

2.5MB would require a 20Mb line speed, which is what you have.

Standard broadband would give you 12-15Mb line speed, which would be about 1.8 MB download speed from the same server.

0 Ratings