Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sam_
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Advice regarding FTTP

Hi,

I am moving into a new built flat and I'm trying to research broadband deals before we move in.

However, I have stumbled across a piece of technology I'm unfamilar with and unsure how to proceed! I have asked some questions to the lettings agent to ask the landlord but my questions still remain unanswered.

When I first visited the property, I noticed some Openreach techonolgy and I was unsure of its purpose. Upon further research, I have discovered that the property has FTTP enabled and it is for that. 

Can somebody please explain whether any broadband provider can connect to this? I'm having a problem when trying to look on price comparison sites because the postcode can't be found. 

If I need a specific FTTP provider and instead would like to go with a 'traditional' provider, would I need to have a new copper phone line installed? I have had a look on the Openreach website regarding getting one installed and it asks what type of socket I already have. One being the FTTP one.

Finally. The box at the top looks like a modem/router for an exisiting broadband connection. Could somebody please give me their opinion on that?

Thank-you!

This is the utility cupboard featuring the Openreach FTTP device. The "router/modem" is at the top. Is this from an existing connection?This is the utility cupboard featuring the Openreach FTTP device. The "router/modem" is at the top. Is this from an existing connection?The Opeanreach device we have (found online for a clearer picture)The Opeanreach device we have (found online for a clearer picture)Question on Openreach website when you request a new phone line to be installedQuestion on Openreach website when you request a new phone line to be installed

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Geoff765
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Advice regarding FTTP

I had similar problems about 3 years ago. After waiting for two months for Openreach to tell BT that they had finished the installation, I found that I was "tied" to BT at least for the "initial" period. I tried other providers who all said that they could not provide a service.

The boxes are the (1) ONT [Opitical Network Terminal] which transfer data into electronic form, (2) BBU [Battery Backup Unit] to ower telephone in the event of a local power failure, (3) Modem, as well as a plug-in brick transformer to power the BBU. As you say, there is no copper cable and the telephone call is fed down the fibre.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 3 of 4

There are a few ISP's that will provide service over your OR FTTP connection, but the choice is a lot less than those who offer FTTC (VDSL) or ADSL.
OR won't be giving you a copper pair as well as your fibre to the premises, if you decide you only want to use a provider that only offers ADSL or VDSL type service you will be out of luck
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

when you say a new build are you the first person to rent the premises as often on new build there is a tie in that you must use BT for first 12 months - landlord will know

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings