cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 28

Re: After years I got Fibre then....

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband in the call
0 Ratings
sophos9
Contributor
Message 12 of 28

I just did the test, lots of scuffling scratching noises... I'll ring it through
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 28

do not mention broadband when you phone 151
0 Ratings
sophos9
Contributor
Message 14 of 28

151 ran an automated test which dropped the internet connection, its resynced at 56mb down and 10.5mb up. Waited on hold but had to stop. Ran another quiet line test and no noise at all.

Quick question, BT said about the fault costing £129 if they cannot find a fault or if its fault is my equipment. I'm totally sure its not equipment etc but this noise seems intermittant. If an engineer arrives, checks the line for noise and finds nothing, am I going to be charged for this?

Resync

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 28

@sophos9 wrote:

151 ran an automated test which dropped the internet connection, its resynced at 56mb down and 10.5mb up. Waited on hold but had to stop. Ran another quiet line test and no noise at all.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
There is probably a high resistance fault somewhere, and the voltages applied by the line tester, cleared it temporarily, but its likely to come back.
How often do you use your landline phone, even if its just to receive calls or check for dial tone?
0 Ratings
sophos9
Contributor
Message 16 of 28

Hi Keith

Can honestly say we never make an outbound call and its extremely rare to get incoming calls - we just use mobiles phones 99.9% of the time

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 28

@sophos9 wrote:

Hi Keith

Can honestly say we never make an outbound call and its extremely rare to get incoming calls - we just use mobiles phones 99.9% of the time

Its work checking the line at regular intervals, as it helps to keep faults at bay.

The lack of any current flowing through the wires due to the lack of a phone providing an occasional loop, causes oxidisation at any joints which causes the line resistance to increase. This does not show up on a normal line test.

With Private Circuits it is common practice to allow a small "DC Wetting" current to flow through the line to prevent this problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetting_current

There are quite a few people that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

You may find that the very act of plugging a phone in, and getting dial tone, fixes your broadband, as it breaks down any corrosion.

An interesting thread here http://www.broadbandbanter.com/showthread.php?t=29287

sophos9
Contributor
Message 18 of 28

Just been reading up on this. Whats interesting is that since making the initial call - quiet line test is perfectly silent. Over the next few days I'll keep an eye on this and keep testing it. Is it worth making calls both to and from the landline?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 28

yes
Highlighted
sophos9
Contributor
Message 20 of 28

Ok great, I'll update in the coming days
0 Ratings