cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deejayjomo
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

All My Neighbours Can Get Fibre @ 80Mbps via BT, I'm stuck with 2Mbps ADSL(All in the same building)

Hi Guys,

I wonder if someone can help me here, I'm having the worst trouble trying to order fibre internet with BT

Our exchange (Ardrossan) has been enabled for years for fibre.

I have moved my business into a unit that all phonelines in our combined premesis are linked to Cabinet 8.

My Postal code is: KA22 8HE

There are approx 16 units in our street with 4 buildings containing 4 seperate light industrial units in each building.

On my building there is Unit 5, Unit 6, Unit 7, Unit 8  (I've moved into Unit 7)

Unit 5, Unit 6, and Unit 8 can get fibre enabled of 80Mbps of which when I try and order using my address of Unit 7, it states that I can only get 2Mbps or 3Mbps on a standard ADSL Max connection or something similar.

Can someone please give me a hand as I know that something just doesn't add up right here.

Thanks, Jamie

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: All My Neighbours Can Get Fibre @ 80Mbps via BT, I'm stuck with 2Mbps ADSL(All in the same build

This is a residential forum  as a business user you need to post here https://business.forums.bt.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
deejayjomo
Beginner
Message 3 of 20

Re: All My Neighbours Can Get Fibre @ 80Mbps via BT, I'm stuck with 2Mbps ADSL(All in the same build

It's actually for a residential service I'm looking for,  I'm not wanting a business service at this address

Thank You

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

So you are running the business unit in a residential connection?

enter phone number and post results https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
deejayjomo
Beginner
Message 5 of 20

Yes,  as I don't need any type of compensation if the line goes down.

I have just moved into the property within the last month so I have no live phone line yet so I can't give this information.

All I have done is compared unit 5, unit 6, unit 7, and unit 8 (all in the same building as myself, except divider walls) using this with the address checker,  all others except from unit 7 which is myself can get fibre, and I can't. (The cabinet is not full either as I can place orders on the website for unit 5, 6, and 😎

Thanks again, Jamie

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

I would suggest that you take a look at BTs Residential T&Cs before placing your order.

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016voiceandbroadband.html

The Service

6. How you can use the service

first paragraph (a)

Also.

As a business user you get a priority installation and repair service, and there are more connection options.

You also get a secure and relaible btconnect email service, based around Office365.

Take a look at https://business.bt.com/products/broadband/ there are lots of different packages to suit your business.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of running a business on a residential line, you won't be able to order fibre until you have a landline in place.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

@licquorice wrote:

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of running a business on a residential line, you won't be able to order fibre until you have a landline in place.

True of course, you do need a line first. but BT Business is only a little bit more expensive, and you can get a static IP address, your own domain name, and an email service that works. I would not want to rely on BT Mail, or BT Yahoo for business correspondence Smiley Sad

Its better to order the correct type of line (account) first, as changing between residential and business accounts, can cause lots of issues.

0 Ratings
deejayjomo
Beginner
Message 9 of 20

Hi guys thanks got your messages.

This confuses me there is an old telephone line inside the property, why do I need to have a live line with a phone number installed prior to getting fibre. This essentially means I cannot take bt up on any of their offers.

Also, this is getting used for personal use. Don't need emails don't need anything like that running through this account this is why I've said residential. I own a few domains hosted elsewhere that I don't need BT to do the job for me.

Regards Jamie
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

you need an active phone line to get broadband

0 Ratings