cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 11 of 20

Re: All My Neighbours Can Get Fibre @ 80Mbps via BT, I'm stuck with 2Mbps ADSL(All in the same build

Hi IMJolly,

THanks for this,  I understand I need a phone line to receive any type of broadband via the openreach network.

But,  surely you don't need an active line to place an order for any type of broadband since BT offer a new line install as an option anyways within the ordering system.

Silly as it sounds,  Unit5, and Unit6,  do not have an active phone line either but they can order the phone line and fibre together on the same order of which I cannot. This is why I'm trying to get some type of resolvement on this forum.

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 20

Re: All My Neighbours Can Get Fibre @ 80Mbps via BT, I'm stuck with 2Mbps ADSL(All in the same build

maybe they are ordering as business customers unlike you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 13 of 20

I've used the standard residential bt ordering system so this is not the case for testing each of these.

testimage.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 20

@imjolly wrote:

maybe they are ordering as business customers unlike you

That is quite possible, as its an industrial estate, Openreach will be expecting Business orders from Service Providers, and may have already pre-wired and allocated the cable pairs in the units, which explains the existing line.

Its very common to have a DP (Distribution Point) where all the business units terminate. That DP it then cabled back to the cabinet.

@deejayjomo Is there any reason why you don`t want to pay the slightly extra cost for a business line? What happens if you try and place an order on the BT Business website, does it say you can have fibre?

Also, bear in mind that fibre cabinets fill up very quickly, so there may be limited capacity.

There is also a possibility that your unit is connected direct to the exchange (EO), and may not be routed via a cabinet.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 15 of 20

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply,  on the message above I'm the middle figure. I've put unit 6, 7 and 8 in this image,  as you can see it says everyone else is 80Mb, and I'm 3.5Mb.  I know unit 8 has fibre running at the moment. Unit 5 and 6 have never had any internet connection at all previously.

I honestly have no clue where to go from here, Even if I call BT Business they still say I can only get 3.5MB,  it's me going round and round in circles and it's starting to wind me up to be honest,  as if no one can help one little bit from their customer service.

The reason I was taking the residential service is because I'm not using it for anything specific relating to business,  youtube & spotify really that was all when I'm bored on my breaks. Also the price is a factor at £29.99 inc vat inc linerental on res, and £43.68 inc vat plus line rental on the business rates whatever that may be.

I only need the 52Mbps downstream for what I intend to use it for, I don't the higher end one.

Thanks, Jamie

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 20

It does sound like you may be on an EO cable, especially if you say its an old line.

Things like YouTube and Spotify, work just fine on 3.5Mbs. Some people manage with less than that.

What does it say on this page, if you use the address and postcode?

Broadband availability checker

I still think you are going to have to order a phone line first, then you can use that number on the above form, and see what is available.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 17 of 20

Hi Keith,  Done a comparison from Unit 7 to Unit 6 in the image below using that checker by address.

Thanks Jamie

CHECKER.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 20

Possibly an Openreach database issue, that would be corrected once they receive an order from a Service Provider.

I don`t think you are going to make any more progress, until you have a working phone line, then you will be able to see your broadband options are.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 20

there have been many posts from residential customers with similar problem and ordering phone line first then when active you can order broadband was the solution

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 20

I suspect that it is only a database issue that you are having. You should not need to order a phone line first then hope to be able to order Infinity after the phone has been installed. You should be able to order a complete package which would include a phone and broadband. If you were a "new build" you would not be expected to order a phone first then broadband later!

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take over 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings