Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
cornishmayhem
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

All my neighbours but not me!

I was guaranteed in my contract for the BT Infinity 1  25Gb  package that I took with BT in Jan, that my minimum speed would be at least 13Mbps guaranteed, average 15-21Mbps. It is only 7. I've complained numerous times. Today I've found that by logging on to bt as though I'm a new customer and interested in having BT broadband and then inputting in turn all my neighbour's postcodes and house numbers in the road I live in, they are all offered up to Fibre broadband with a min of 65Mbps. But put in my house number and it offers 21Mbps. We are all connected to the same cabinet. Open Reach engineers who are sick of me turning up at the said Cabinet to ask questions have all shown me exactly where in the cabinet my line is and that it simply needs to be 'connected to the DSLAM' which is adjacent. It would be easy to do, they say. But BT tell me this is impossible and there are no plans to upgrade my line. I'd be content with the speeds I was 'guaranteed', anything else would be a bonus. For a start, surely the word 'guarantee' means BT are in breach of contract? But my question is why are they able to offer my neighbours the higher speeds but not me? I live on an estate. All the houses are identical. We're all connected to the same cabinet. At the very least it proves the well-worn line of excuse about being 'too far from the cabinet' is nonsense as I'm no further from the cabinet than any of my neighbours. If anyone can suggest anything helpful I would be most grateful and will pass your ideas on to the latest person at BT from the 'newcastle technical team' but whose phone number is in London, who is trying to help me. I'm going stir crazy with the time I'm spending on being Miss Marple, speaking to Open Reach engineers (including Level 2 infrastructure engineers!) and on the phone to BT then waiting in for engineer appointments which I don't really need as the work that needs to be done is clearly external ie at the cabinet (or beyond???). Thanks so much for bearing with this long explanation but some of it might help other people possibly.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: All my neighbours but not me!

If the engineers at the cabinet say you need to be connected to the DSLAM then you are still on ADSL and not VDSL (iInfinity).

Can you post your full connection stats from your hub.

0 Ratings
cornishmayhem
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: All my neighbours but not me!

That makes sense, thanks! The last Open Reach engineer I spoke to at the Cabinet last week, who was actually only on his very first day at work (!) located my line with some sort of 'tuning fork' for want of a better description and said 'Oh, that's strange, it just goes from here to here (he pointed from from left to right on the same horizontal) so it sort of goes nowhere when it should go from here to here' (then he pointed from the bottom left of those to higher up the Cab).  He also said, contrary to the other OR engineers that to connect me to DSLAM happened in that Cabinet, whereas others told me the DSLAM was in the adjacent cabinet. But maybe it has to be connected properly in the Cab and then the other bit is automatic or something. Re the info from my hub, how would I access that to let you know? Thanks so much for taking the trouble to reply. On the face of it, do you think it sounds like someone's just not connected me properly at the cab and it would be easy to do? But even if that's the case, all the engineers that come to the house say 'oh, we can't do that without Open Reach telling us to do it' whereas Open Reach say 'oh we can't do that without BT telling us to do it'! Thanks so much. Let me know re the hub info and I'll do that.

0 Ratings