cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stewclark
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 32

All pages redirecting to 62.6.38.125/index.html (BT Wholesale Service Information page)

Go to solution

Hi,

Hoping someone here can offer a suggestion as to where I go with this problem, as the telephone support desk has been going around in circles, and judging by how many times I've been asked to reset my IE settings I'm not confident the right people are getting the details about the fault.

My service was fine for about a month after installation. On Wednesday (6 days ago). I powered off the openreach modem and hub to move the plugs to another socket.

Since then all webpages divert to http://62.6.38.125/index.html with the following text:

webpagescreenshot.png

It does this on 3 different web browsers on 2 PCs, not to mention on my Android Tablet and mobile phone. There is no other internet service available and I cannot ping internet ips (eg 209.85.147.99).

My openreach modem has solid DSL light and the HH is showing 3 blue lights.

I've had about 10 conversations with the helpdesk and two engineer visits. During the course of the engineer visits they have replaced the master socket, the modem and the HH (twice). As far as they can tell the DSL connection is good and it's a problem with the account (according to the support line that they call). The last engineer tested the connection on his laptop and got the same problem.

I'm told they've also changed the exchange port, and also done a "lift and shift" but this has made no difference.

Everything has been rebooted and reset numerous times.

The helpdesk are doing their best but they are saying they've not seen anything like this before. They're still investigating, but not after accusing me of having spyware or my PC being at fault (despite all the above).

My own research into the fault indicates something to do with the RADIUS authentication. I also notice the connection settings assigned when clicking connect on the HH look odd:

Internet Connection Configuration

Connection information
Connection time:0 day, 00:08:35
Data transmitted/received (GB):0.000 / 0.000
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password:Not configured

TCP/IP settings
Broadband network IP address:172.16.98.29
Default gateway:81.146.185.5
Primary DNS:62.6.38.125
Secondary DNS:62.6.38.125 
In particular the DNS servers assigned are the same as the redirect page, and the WAN IP looks wrong (should be a 30. address I think?)
I've also tried a dd-wrt router with numerous settings as well as different DNS servers but the best I can get is all webpages to time out rather than show the 62.6.38.125 address, even tho it does connect to the WAN via PPPoE.
The helpdesk are currently emailing someone again - the were vague about who and to be honest I'd feel better having a greater understanding of what's going on so I can push them until this is fixed.
Does anyone here have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Stewart
0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Puppy
Contributor
Message 2 of 32

Re: All pages redirecting to 62.6.38.125/index.html (BT Wholesale Service Information page)

Go to solution

I know it's no help at all.  But yes.  I'd agree it looks like there is something wrong with the radius authentication.  Username and password are correct. But the "Broadband network IP address:" should be a public address.  172.16.x.x is private address space.

I'm not too sure about the DNS servers.  Mine are currently: 194.72.9.34 62.6.40.178, but I think these can be subject to change.  Maybe load balancing or something.

If you change the username to bt_test_user@startup_domain you should get similar results.  From memory, long, long time ago the the page you see is one of the pages the engineers use to test connections.

You should be able to get to the speed test pages as well. (http://www.speedtester.bt.com/)

Sorry. 😞

PS As always the MODS may be able to help.  They have a form you can fill in here:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Make sure you reference back to your original post and allow a few days for them to get back to you.

Dave
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 32

Re: All pages redirecting to 62.6.38.125/index.html (BT Wholesale Service Information page)

Go to solution
If you're not getting anywhere with the help desks then suggest to them that they do a cease and reprovide. I'm assuming that they've already had the issue investigated by BT Wholesale?

It certainly seems to be some error with the RAS routing for the circuit.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
stewclark
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 32

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

After a further conversation with the helpdesk they say BT Wholesale can find no fault. Then they advised me high level engineer was going to attend my property today.

When I called in to ask why no engineer had attended they told me that the engineer should have called because they have found a fault with some overhead equipment on the exchange that they're going to repair/replace and then the engineer will attend my flat tomorrow to finish up.

I asked how many people were affected by this overhead equipment failure, they said up to 4. I asked what else the engineer would need to do at my house (seeing as 2 openreach engineers had already confirmed no connection or line problems, just this account/authentication issue that they have no control over), they said to redo the main wiring...

I can't help but be skeptical about what they're telling me above, but I'll wait until tomorrow to see what that brings before emailing the mods as per your suggestion.

Hopefully though Day 9 will produce some results, as I'm near the limit of my data allowance with my mobile (thank goodness for tethering 🙂 ).

Thanks again for the help. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 32

Go to solution

Do let us know how this ends ... I've now suffering exactly the same problems (Sheffield) since around 1900 last night 😞

0 Ratings
stewclark
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 32

Go to solution

The 3rd engineer didn't attend my flat, but he did try the connection from the cabinet with his laptop and got the same problem, thus proving definitivley that its not a fault with my equipment or setup.

He said that as the DSL connection is syncing and showing a full 40/10 connection, another lift and shift would be pointless.

He contacted BT Wholesale on my behalf and they said there's no fault with them and that the problem lies with the CP (meaning BT Broadband) and he can do no more.

He suggested asking for Broadband Boost engineer and wrote up a report that the helpdesk could view.

I called the helpdesk and they said they could indeed see his report. I also suggested a 'cease and reprovide' and they said the engineer had also suggested that, so they've arranged it - they tell me its 24 hours to complete.

I'll update with the results of that tomorrow...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 32

Go to solution
24 hours for a cease and reprovide? Good luck is all I'll say on that one, especially over a weekend.

It's an odd issue, but I'm 99.9% sure it's a BT Wholesale fault.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
stewclark
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 32

Go to solution

Well, the cease and reprovide didn't work because it didn't happen - they tell me that this can't be done for BT Infinity accounts - I only found this out after calling in as I didn't get my promised call back after 24 hours - I guess they figured as they weren't actually doing any work they didn't have to call me to tell me it wasn't completed. Another day wasted.

They say BT Wholesale have confirmed no fault with their service or systems, so they've now scheduled a 4th engineer visit, this time a broadband boost engineer, whom I'm assured will be able to diagnose the fault and have it rectifed without telling me to go back to the BT Broadband helpdesk.

That's happening on Wednesday, meaning it will be at least 2 weeks from fault to fix (assuming this 4th engineer can fix the fault in a timely manner). 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 32

Go to solution
An engineer visit won't fix this mate. This is a Wholesale issue. The circuit most likely needs rebuilt on the RAS. I think the boost task will fail as I don't think boost jobs are available for FTTC circuits at the moment, SFI jobs are currently used.

Have you got in touch with the Mods on the forums?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
Message 10 of 32

Go to solution

Hi stew,

I don't think an engineer will be able to fix this one. You'd best send us your details so we can get a look at this - click on my name at the left and fill out our "contact us" form (the link is under the "about me" section of my profile) and we'll pick this up as soon as we can.

Cheers

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.