cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Alternative To Smart Hub 2 for Digital Voice - suggestions please

I have full fibre with digital voice.  I don't want to use the Smart Hub 2. 

Let's not debate why - I simply want a 3rd party router with better management and security features.  Sub-nets, multiple WiFi  SSIDs, DDNS, NAS connectivity, detailed usage statistics, basically lots of things that the SH2 can't give me.

I need suggestions please for either:

1. An altenative router which has a phone socket (BT plug or RJ11, I don't care which) ...........or perhaps
  2. A plug-in VoIP box to go in any normal router, that will itself plug into the Openreach ONT.

In fact, the plug-in box option is probably my preference because I need multiple phones and DECT base stations plugged into existing internal wiring in a good sized house.

Can anyone suggest a good soution that will do the trick?

I already have a couple of really good Netgear ADSL/VDSL modems in a box somewhere that I could re-purpose in the best possible case, but I'm happy to buy new if necessary.

Sadly, I'll also need a little guidance on how to implement it and get the ONT to talk to the third party stuff.  i.e WAN or LAN port used, how to not use the modem part of the modem/router and so on.

Many thanks in anticipation.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Alternative To Smart Hub 2 for Digital Voice - suggestions please

you can use your on choice of router just connect ONT to WAN port on your selected router  however DV will only work with the SH2 which acts a DECT base station

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 13

TRe: Alternative To Smart Hub 2 for Digital Voice - suggestions please

That's great, thanks so much for the reply. 

If I plug my own router into the ONT, where do I plug the SH2?

If it's into a normal network port on my router, what mods do I have to make on the SH2 other than the obvious one of disabling DHCP?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Re: TRe: Alternative To Smart Hub 2 for Digital Voice - suggestions please

Still won't work that way. The SHub must be connected to the ONT for DV to work.

Message 5 of 13

To clarify, you can either use a third party router OR digital voice with the SH2. You cannot do both.

You can always use a third party VOIP solution rather than digital voice.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Well, you can do both, can't you? - but you'd need to run the SH2 as well as your own router.

SH2 can be doing the phone stuff, and your upstream router can be in access point mode doing all the wifi, ddns, NAS, and other things you mentioned.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

No, if I understand correctly, I cant run a router as a "satellite" of the SH2 because that will give all of the multiple SSIDs access to all parts of my network, which is unacceptable (e.g. servers and CCTV need to be in thier own, very separate part of my setup and only accessible on WiFi with a single, master SSID). 

Is this not the case?

Also, how can I have external access using DDNS if it first has to go through the SH2? BT don't even offer the option of a static IP (unlike their subsidiary PlusNet) and I'm jiggered if I'm paying the price of a business account.

So let me re-phase the question ..........  I know that I can connect my own router to the ONT - the connection ID and passwork can be found on this forum.  But does anyone know if a commercial VoIP box can be connected and if so, how to I access BT digital voice?

If I can keep the BT FTTP broadband and get digital voice from another provider on the same line ,then surely it's a no brainer to be able to do the same using 100% BT?  Surely it's only about accessing with the correct identity and protocols?

I'm consdering asking them to install a hybrid line with copper for the voice, since I can see absolutely no benefit to me in having digital voice.  What am I missing?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

As previously stated, there is no way to get BT Digital Voice by any other means than using the SH2. If you want VOIP with a third party router you need a third party VOIP service.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Is this official BT policy?

If so,methinks it breaches the Ofcom rules about providers not tying customers into proprietary hardware.

Message 10 of 13

Lots of providers have their own propriety hardware to deliver their services. Try and receive Sky satellite broadcasts without a Sky box, or Virgin Media TV without their box.

If you are a BT customer, and want to use their phone service, then you have to use the smart hub 2.

Other providers will have their own routers that are specific to them, to deliver phone connections over FTTP, so you are free to move FTTP providers if you wish. 

You cannot have a system where unauthorised equipment could be used to make calls on your BT account, so the method used by BT, allows for a secure connection, unlike the old BT Broadband Talk service which was easily replicated on other hardware, and could result in unauthorised calls being made.