cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DCOnCommForum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Am I paying too much for the speed I get?

A few years ago when I first got Broadband (about the same time as it became available in this town so not much contention with other customers) I was on the 'up to 76Mb' Infinity package and speed tests showed I was getting a minimum of 68Mb. A while later, disconnections and other line problems were resolved when BT replaced a corroding aluminium cable with copper - at that time the speed had dropped to around 50Mb and the engineer said it should go back up now the line was repaired.

So now, a couple of years later, my speed is still around 50Mb, varying between 49Mb and 51Mb whenever the Hub reconnects which seems to be about once every couple of weeks.

I've done all the usual tests (silent line check is silent, using the master socket, etc.) but the hub just won't connect any faster.

Is it possible that DLM has kept my connection speed low for this long due to the earlier problems?

I've recontracted over the years and my current contract is about to end. Since the current packages are listed as 'Average 67Mb' and 'Average 50Mb', is there any point in me staying on the more expensive package? Or, since I'm getting less than the average for the package I'm on, if I switched to 50Mb would I get less than that too?

It's a stable connection, the speed isn't bad compared to some, I'm just not getting what I'm paying for.

Stats etc...

email.pngBTBTest.pngBTTest.pngDSLChecker.pngHubStats.png

Do any of those stats indicate I should chase a DLM reset?

Thanks for any help.

Dave

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Am I paying too much for the speed I get?

I doubt a DLM reset would be of benefit. I would be chasing for an engineer after doing the basic checks due to attainable being less than handback.

Basic Checks

Connect to test socket with filter repost stats.

Whilst there conduct a quiet line check on 17070 option 2 the should be silence between announcements. Also check any extentions have no dial tone when in test socket.

0 Ratings
DCOnCommForum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Thanks, I did those tests before posting, the line is silent on the quiet line check (and has been ever since the line was repaired). The hub was connected to the test socket (just noticed I said master socket in the post, sorry) via a filter. The extensions were all disconnected as they're wired into to the faceplate which had been removed.

It's difficult to know what to expect - when I recontracted the email said I could get up to 79Mbps, the package says the average is 67Mbps, the hub says the maximum is 60Mbs but connects at 50Mbs and a download speed test only manages 39Mbps (Ethernet 1Gbs, not wireless).

I wasn't sure about my speed being less than the handback speed. It's less than the Range A speed but higher than the Range B speed. The notes mention Bridge Taps etc. which my line doesn't have but then adds "and/or Copper line conditions" which muddies the waters. If the line conditions mean I'm on Range A then yes my speed is less than the handback speed, but if the line conditions put me into Range B then I'm above it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

stats show connection time as only 38min was that a manual reset or hub dropping internet conenction?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DCOnCommForum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

That was just when I tried swapping over to another filter but got the same results from it.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 10

@DCOnCommForum wrote:

That was just when I tried swapping over to another filter but got the same results from it.

Fair enough. You need  an engineer to investigate why you are not getting minimum speed.

0 Ratings
DCOnCommForum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

I think you're right, thanks.

0 Ratings
DCOnCommForum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Just to follow up on this - an engineer has been, checked and tested everything inside and out and at the cabinet including the usual line resets. My line passed every test but still only connects at 50Mbs, down from the 68Mbps I was getting before the aluminium wire disintegrated and was replaced by copper. Nothing could be done so he left.

So even though I seem to have a clean and non-impacted line and my connection speed is below all the estimates and both of the Low ranges on DSLChecker (Range A 59.7 and Range B 54.2) I'm still above the Guaranteed Minimum of 49Mbps specified in my contract.

Looks like my only option is to wait for contract to end and then switch to a slower package and/or provider.

Thanks again for the help.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Most likely down to across Talk.

You said they replaced some Aluminium Cable but how much? Could’ve just been 20m out of a 300m length.
0 Ratings
DCOnCommForum
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Just a small section of less than 2m where it goes from the master socket, out through the wall and down into the ground. The conduit on the outside wall had let the rain in so it was replaced too.

0 Ratings