Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Conzooo
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

Amazing download speed during the day - ridiculously slow at night

Go to solution

Hi there,

Have seen numerous posts regarding this same issue and wondering if someone could help. We recently switched to BT from SSE due to a great deal (we are on the superfast fibre unlimited package), and we were given a very tight range of between 52-56mbps as our download speed. I knew it would inevitably be impossible to stay within this range 24/7, however after about 5pm the download speed drops to about 8mbps. I know the ins and outs of why this is (people coming home from work/school/etc), however the decrease in speed is ridiculous. I am unable to even watch a youtube video if my flatmate is downloading something, I cannot play online video games due to the lag, and it is just crazy how much it drops in such a short space of time.

We have phoned BT numerous times, spoke to a variety of different people. They sent us out a booster which has done nothing. Now we are getting nowhere and seriously considering switching providers. Is there anything that can be done about this? I read on another post that sometimes the congestion issues can be sorted by creating more capacity.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Amazing download speed during the day - ridiculously slow at night

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

Ringing the BT helpdesk is a waste of time as they do not have the tools to see congestion.

Can you post your exchange & cab number, a mod can then check for capacity problems and may be able to get you switched onto a less congested SVLAN.

To find your exchange and cab number enter your phone number HERE.

It would also be helpful if you could post the result of a speed test from HERE. Once the first test completes scroll down and click  Further Diagnostics. Post that result. Please repeat this evening when it slows down forr comparison.

0 Ratings
Conzooo
Beginner
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Hi there, thank you for the reply.

My exchange is the ALEXANDRIA exchange, and cabinet number is 35.

My speed currently is around 45mbps; I will post a screenshot later of the speed checker at night, when it usually drops to 8-9mbps.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Conzooo
Beginner
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Here are my speed test results from right now:

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 09.08.36.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

btspeedtester obviously having problems again - thought this has been sorted but obviously not  try http://www.speedtest.net/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Conzooo
Beginner
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

This is the speedtest from OOkla as of this morning -

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 10.05.20.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

that's more like it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Conzooo
Beginner
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

I will post another speedtest in the evening to show the drop in download speed. In terms of getting moved to a new exchange, what criteria need to be met before this can be an option?

0 Ratings
Conzooo
Beginner
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

@imjolly Here are some examples with timestamps over the past couple of weeks of how bad the speed gets during the evening:

44098194_1927511463998944_7065459117338394624_n.jpg44148867_1079203925579340_7875205171557433344_n.jpg44293518_547990952293518_2528171540319567872_n.jpg

0 Ratings