Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidCo
Expert
Message 1 of 21

Ambient temp affects noise margin

Go to solution

I normally get 50Mb at 3.0 dB but when there is a 'heatwave' I end up with 45Mb at 3.0dB
So what is there outside, I guess, that gets hot, expands and increases noise?
I am 'off a pole' btw.

No disconnect, the DLM 'sees' the noise margin dropping and starts dropping the speed.

After the temp goes back to normal the speed increases.

David

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Ambient temp affects noise margin

Go to solution

Your connection speed cannot drop unless the router drops internet connection but the max attainable will fluctuate as your noise margin changes. My noise margin moves +/- 0.2db depending on weather conditions with corresponding decreases/increases in max attainable. My connection speed remains constant though

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

+/- 0.2db, if only!SNR 23_4.JPG

As you can see the max is lower than the actual.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

you have G.INP active on your line hence the lower noise margin - normal about 3db

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

I understand about G.INP etc

Please compare photosCapture 23.7.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

sorry  I seem to be missing something

are you saying that your data rate not Max data rate is changing as your noise margin changes but you dsl uptime is not resetting?

0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

I see what you are getting at now.

1. The max data rate does not change.

2. The noise margin does change.

3. The actual data rate does change.

4. The dsl uptime does reset as can be seen by the last photo.

It has always seemed weird that the max data can be lower than the actual. This has been 'proved' by speed tests.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
DavidCo
Expert
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

There is one thing I hesitated to ask - perhaps the HH6 is faulty

The stats are strange after all and whilst I do not know how it 'all' works perhaps the hub does not like the heat?

The other issue is the cabinet. The data below have been like this since 2013 and do not reflect reality.Cab.JPG

The actual have been much higher for some years. A boost eng' commented that the cab' would have to be sorted out one day.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

@DavidCo wrote:It has always seemed weird that the max data can be lower than the actual. This has been 'proved' by speed tests.

Not really, its quite normal, it depends what you noise margin was at sync time.

Mine is at the moment

Data rate:8.539 Mbps / 65.094 Mbps
Maximum data rate:8.539 Mbps / 64.813 Mbps

0 Ratings
DavidCo
Expert
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

Beats me then because I know that when the ambient temp' drops back to 'normal' my speed will gradually increase back to what it was!

0 Ratings