cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adlopa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

And another one: Repeated HomeHub 5 restarts

I see I'm not the only one here to be suffering from repeated and regular restarts with a HH5. Mine started a couple of weeks ago, after several weeks of mostly problem-free operation. 

I've already been in touch with CS and and engineer visited last Wednesday (15th). My line is fine, but he swapped the HH5 for a new one, just to be on the safe side. He also reset my line speeds after they'd dropped from the constant restarts. This fixed the problem for a couple of days, but now it's back with a vengeance — something to do with a router update in the meantine, perhaps..?

• BT Home Hub 5 (Type A)
  • Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6
  • Last updated 16/10/14

I've now started counting. I had eight restarts in the space of five hours on Tuesday evening (I stopped counting after 10:50pm) and four or five last night, also around 10.50pm. There was also at least one more during the night — the restarts break part of my home network when they happen, so there's always a tell-tale trace. My download speed is so far largely unaffected by this week's problems, but my upload speed has now dropped from ~18Mbit/s to ~3Mbit/s. 

This is now back in the hands of BT CS, bit I thought I'd add a new thread here to add my voice to the many others experiencing this problem. 

Screenshot 2014-10-23 at 09.40.11.PNG

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: And another one: Repeated HomeHub 5 restarts

Looks like you have a line fault and DLM has taken action to reduce your speeds to raise your noise margin due to many disconnections.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Adlopa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

A BT engineer checked the line last week and said it was fault-free, but I guess I'll have to see what the second round of investigation reveals.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

You said he reset your DLM. As the fault wasn't fixed DLM will just take the same action again with the same result.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Adlopa
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

I don't understand... If the engineer comfirmed (presumably to the best of his ability) that the line was free from faults, how can a line fault be causing the problem..? My reading of this is that the repeated router resets are the problem — could that be triggered by a line fault, or is the DLM kicking in because the router appears to be struggling to maintain a stable connection?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

DLM is reacting to errors and disconnections it has measured on your line, as you can see it has mainly affected the upstream.

As you have already had a replacement Homehub, the chances of 2 with exactly the same fault are slim in my opinion.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings