Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oldeng99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Another speed reduced after upgrade from infinity 1 to 2

Hi,

I upgraded to infinity 2 last week and my speed used to be around 26/7.8 its currently around 24/0.3

I have only had it for nearly 3 days and the help desk person said you have to wait 3 days, however I would have expected it to be better and increase to its maximum over 3 days not be worse.

It currently has a fault reported which as its the weekend is not getting fixed just now.

A few questions for the knowledgable, Im on the same openreach modem as for infinity 1 and the same Home hub 3 that came with infinity 1.  is this what I should be on? will they both work correctly with infinity 2?

Ive isolated my wifi and plugged Lan connections but it makes no difference to the speed either way.

this is the print from the tester recommended on here taken this morning.

VDSL Range A (Clean)6346.918.312.5--Available----
VDSL Range B (Impacted)44.123.414.66.2--Available----
FTTP on Demand33030--Available----
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 5.5--3 to 8Available--Yes
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 5.5Up to 13 to 8Available--Yes
ADSL MaxUp to 4--3 to 7Available----
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available--Yes
Fixed Rate2 ----Available----
VDSL Multicast------Available----
ADSL Multicast------Available----

My feeling is that whatever was changed or upgraded in the cabinet has made things worse, if its just a software change at the exchange then Im ot sure why its changed for the worse.

Im hoping for it to be a faut so it can be fixed.

Thanks for any help Im not going to rush about too much till they sign off or fix the fault.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Another speed reduced after upgrade from infinity 1 to 2

your existing modem and hh3 will work just as well with infinity 1 as it will with infinity 2.  the change is just the remoivela of the 40mb and replace it with the 80mb cap.  with your estimated speeds and what you say you currently get you may have been better staying on infinity 1 with the new package of 55/10mb as against old package of 40/10mb - the upgrade is free

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 17

unless the modem is unlocked there are no meaninful stats held in the hh3 which you could post

are you using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps your connection especially if you have extension sockets in other rooms

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
oldeng99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

thanks for the reply.

I cant believe that INfinity 2 would be worse than infinity 1 In a real world it should be better but I take your word for it.

I have an openreach main socket the one with the filter within it was new 3 years ago when I had infinity 1.

I will wait till the BT diagnostic and test gets done probably on Monday then see if they say its a fault or something else.

I have 2 extension sockets but nothing plugged in just the wires to the sockets. My phone is plugged directly into the main openreach box.

Upload is still massively poor at 003 Meg to just under 1 meg but nothing like what it was.

My original speed when new was 38 / 12 and worked well for 9 months.

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

you should try the test socket to eliminate problems with your setup, SSFP faceplate and your internal wiring which will help avoid being charged should you need engineer visit  test socket shown by black arrow  test-socket-thumb.jpg

run btspeedtster and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done wired 

btspeedtester

the connection speed on infinity 2 should not be worse than the infinity speed you previously had

Highlighted
esc4p3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

To help reiterate the potential with extension issues, our internal wiring was rearranged by an Openreach engineer and put my Infinity 1 speed up from 5-8mb to the expected 20mb. I had nothing plugged into the extensions, but the wiring not being optimal was enough to cause the slowdown.

oldeng99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Hi My socket is not like this one, it has a smaller cable outlet socket at the top panel centre which goes to the modem and the bottom section which looks like the bit you show has a normal phone outlet which goes to the only connected phone.

If I remove the bottom plate then the dsl light on the modem goes out.

Does that sound like openreach wired it up wrongly as I would think the phone bit shoud go via the bottom section and the dsl to the internal filter. in my case removing the bottom plate seems to discommect both the phone and the dsl.

there is nothing then to plug back in to get the dsl working??

speed today after 3 days is still 24/0.5 ish

I am unable to retest speed with the bottom plate removed since it appears to disconnect everything.

0 Ratings
oldeng99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

openreach socket 2.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

if you removce the bottom plate then you conenct a filter to the test socket and then connect the cable which is currently in top socket on NTE5 to the dsl side of the filter and that should work

0 Ratings
oldeng99
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Status update.

according to BT there is still a fault out on this line.

Yesterday the upload speed suddenly changed from 30k ish to 3 meg. I had not changed anything.

Today it seems to have changed to what it was before the upgrade to infinity 2 ....

I have since  taken the openreach box apart and removed all the house wiring as its not used anyway, the box only has the incoming line and the cable to the modem and to one phone. speed checks indicate no difference with or without the phone plugged in.

the current speed is now maxing out at 28 meg and 7.5 upload.

This is substantially lower than indicated as minimum speed when I signed up for infinity 2 from infinity 1. I think the email said 48/18 minimum.

The speed is roughly as it was before they upgraded so no change really just back to where it was.

Since I had 38/12 for 9 months after initial install of infinity 1 it is disapointing to say the least that the upgrade has given me nothing more.

its not so slow I cant live with it but it doesnt meet my expectations.

Thanks to all of you who have suggested things, I suspect its a dirty joint in the network post cabinet or in the overhead pole joint... wish me luck tryig to get that looked at.

0 Ratings