Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DazednConfused
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Any help with Infinity / HH5? please!!

I was only going to read through the forum to see if others have already had similar problems to mine and that there was a solution; that was until the orange light flashed up on my HH5! Smiley Sad

So since October 2015 I have had no problems with my line speed or connections (other than 2 HH5 replacements)

However, since July this year speed has decreased from 70-75mbps all the way down to 48Mbps.. this took about 2 months, all rather agonising as BT wouldn't assist until the speed dropped below my 53Mb guaranteed minimum... Meanwhile the HH5 would either disconnect at least several times a day or have some DNS failure, little by little my line speed crept down... 61Mbps to 55 Mpbs to 53.17Mbps, then eventually 48Mbps!

So finally, I had an OpenReach engineer come out, plugged in, saw no issues... made a call - and found out that my line was set to 55/12 instead of 80/20!! this was resolved with a couple of clicks...

However, the frequent HH5 disconnects aren't - I'm sure a year or two ago my HH5 would stay connected for 14days straight, although as I never really had any issues I had no reason to Admin Log in to check...

other than some bizarre Noise Margin stats, and the fact that the HH keeps saying that it's a PPP LCP user requested disconnect - I can't fathom what is going on.. Any ideas?? 🙂Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
DazednConfused
Beginner
Message 2 of 12

Re: Any help with Infinity / HH5? please!!

Here are the HH5 stats if that helps? 

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 7.29.34 pm.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Looks like DLM has been reducing your noise margin down to the new target of 3dB rather than the old 6dB.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

I disagree, due to the max attainable being way lower than the actual sync.

Possibly a power cut or DSLAM reboot and the line has connected quicker than other crosstalkers, thus the noise margin (not the target) has been reduced.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
DazednConfused
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

When the OpenReach engineer had the line speed profile reset back to 80/20 (monday 18th) - would this have set the DSLAM to a sort of 'training' on my line? Back in July when I first noticed these issues it was after a 2-3 day total exchange downtime due to 'lightning'.. The Noise margin is the strange one... I can sometimes catch it at -0.2 prior to the line dropping... here is this evenings SS of the stats.. I'm using the HH5 because it's BT's hardware - so they can 'see' any issues from their end - although if I put my ear close enough to it, it does make some electrical 'clicking' - used to use the Vigor 130 until I started having these disconnect issues.. Is it worth seeing whether a new HomeHub will fix the disconnects?

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 10.38.21 pm.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Definiteot croostalkers with your noise margin that low.

If you were to resync now, you’d connect at about 52meg.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
DazednConfused
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

The noise margin does seem strange, what is the solution/fix for potential crosstalk? 

Also - I see that although my DSL reconnected once again this morning, the data sent/received hasn't been reset?

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 9.53.23 am.png

0 Ratings
DazednConfused
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Any ideas on either the above or the below SS as to why the HH keeps dropping DSL? Is it worth me trying my Draytek Vigor 130 or seeing if a new HH5 fixes the issues? 

What is the HH doing at like 4am? setting itself up to fail for the coming morning? Smiley Frustrated

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 2.00.17 pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 1.53.19 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 1.53.57 pm.png

0 Ratings
DazednConfused
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Any ideas on the above? or what is causing my noise margin to keep dropping? 

From the look of this SS it appears my connection may drop out again at any moment...Smiley Sad

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 6.38.55 pm.png

0 Ratings
DazednConfused
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

All these disconnects can't be normal right? what do I do? please....... (unless Infinity is in fact a number lower than 700 Smiley Sad)

Screen Shot 2017-09-22 at 12.12.09 pm.pngScreen Shot 2017-09-22 at 11.21.49 am.pngScreen Shot 2017-09-22 at 11.22.18 am.pngScreen Shot 2017-09-22 at 11.22.49 am.png

0 Ratings