cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 18

Re: Any other option than a 18 month contract

I'm getting fed up with ever-increasing minimum periods on contracts.  BT used to have 12 month contracts for everything.

However they are now following the mobile phone companies and switching to 18 or even 24 months.

In the current economic situation, nobody knows what they will be doing in 12 months' time, let alone 18 or 24, and BT's penalties for early termination can be severe if you have several services from them.

We keep hearing on these forums from people in financial difficulties, where it is only made worse by charges for hundreds of pounds if people try to cut back on their services.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

Would you be happy to pay, lets say a £250 premium and have only a 6 month contract? The reason the contracts are longer are for business purposes.

FTTC connections cost BT Retail more than ADSL connections therefore it's either increase the price, or increase the length of time a customer is with us. I mentioned it earlier, there are other ISP's with shorter contracts but their costs are quite a bit higher.

In this economic climate I'm happy knowing that I'll be getting a very fast broadband connection for a pretty **bleep** good price for the next 18 months.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 13 of 18

@Webby wrote:
Would you be happy to pay, lets say a £250 premium and have only a 6 month contract? The reason the contracts are longer are for business purposes.

FTTC connections cost BT Retail more than ADSL connections therefore it's either increase the price, or increase the length of time a customer is with us. I mentioned it earlier, there are other ISP's with shorter contracts but their costs are quite a bit higher.

In this economic climate I'm happy knowing that I'll be getting a very fast broadband connection for a pretty **bleep** good price for the next 18 months.

That's no excuse for them not harmonising the contract term options on essential parts of the same package. If there's an 18 month Infinity contract, there should also be an 18 month or a 6 month option for discounted line rental, in addition to the 12 months offered.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 18

As far as I know when the initial 12 months is up you're just on a month by month contract, you're not forced to sign an additional contract.

Therefore if you take out broadband and line and wish to leave you can do so after the 18 months.

It is what it is, as I've said there's other options if you don't want an 18 month contract but be prepared to pay more.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 18

@Webby wrote:
As far as I know when the initial 12 months is up you're just on a month by month contract, you're not forced to sign an additional contract.

Therefore if you take out broadband and line and wish to leave you can do so after the 18 months.

It is what it is, as I've said there's other options if you don't want an 18 month contract but be prepared to pay more.

Though for the remainder of the 18 month contract, the month by month contract won't be at a discounted rate*:(

(so BT are forcing the customer to be either out of pocket or forced to sign a new 12 month contract - they may as well do a 3 year contract!;))

*assuming the customer did get a good deal when they first took out the contract.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
D-ave
Expert
Message 16 of 18

@Webby wrote:

It does change the economics of it though, and adds to the irritation of an 18 month contract. The "£10 a month"  saver was an important part of the deal for me but I won't be tied in for one day beyond 18 months so a second 12 month rental saver is out of the question for me. Is it now worth it for the extra £28 or so (£56 a year)? Perhaps not; I will defer the imminent install while I think about it, I may cancel; I will also try and persuade BT to be a bit more flexible about this either now (not hopeful!) or in the future.

I would have been OK with paying 18 months line rental up front by the way,  because it would have matched the minimum contract for  Infinity. BT's loss if I decide to cancel my installation (now deferred to the week after next) because they can't get their inter-departmental act together.

0 Ratings
nikev21
Contributor
Message 17 of 18

I was OK with signing an 18 month contract because BT waived the phone line installation charge which meant  a big saving, been with Infinity for one year now, no regrets, no outages apart from a new modem and a solid 38 Mbit/sec day in day out.

0 Ratings
billyflem
Contributor
Message 18 of 18

i

0 Ratings