cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Anyone else having problems with BT Hub 6 dropping out every few minutes?

Sorry about the spelling mistakes - I probably won't be online long enough to check and correct this! 

I have used BT as an ISP for about 5 years now, mainly without problems - the recent BTCloud "upgrade" excepted!

However today I found everything disconnected from the internet!  PC (wired to the router), Work laptop (wireless) Ipad (Wireless), Phone (Wireless), Smart TVs (wireless), you name it!  Bloody irritating to drop out of important Webex calls to the USA several times today, that made BT look like amateurs, as I was the only one from the UK side with an Openreach connection!  Note the list includes wired and wireless connections - obviously a Hub problem!  

So I reset the Hub by switching it off and most things reconnected for a couple of minutes... ...and then dropped connection to the Internet again!  iPad is still trying to reconnect to the router after 6 hours waiting on the circle of doom!

Tried the BT troubleshooter, which says "You should now be connected to the Internet" for all of 5seconds then advises that "Sorry, but you're not allowed to access the Internet at the moment." - or any time after, it would seem!

Tried resetting the Hub6 to factory defaults by pressing the button for 30sec during a power cycle but no change.

Any other suggestions before I switch to Virgin at half the price, twice the speed, and a street box half the distance from BT's?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Anyone else having problems with BT Hub 6 dropping out every few minutes?

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser)  HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that stabilises your connection by eliminating the master faceplate and internal wiring

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Anyone else having problems with BT Hub 6 dropping out every few minutes?

Thanks for trying to help.  I had already done all of the usual checks like quiet line, connection to backbox with a filter etc. before posting here. 

However, before I read your reply I had logged a fault with BT who called me back within 20 minutes and they tested the line and the Hub6A router.  They couldn't find a fault but noted a large number of outages over the past couple of days.  Then, while they were on the line talking, the broadband dropped out again.  From their side it looked like the Hub was offline but, from here, the Hub was still showing a stable status blue light, was still transmitting the SSID on wifi, but the PC it was wired to showed "no internet connection".

I rebooted the hub and it seemed to get an internet connection again, which the BT agent confirmed, but I couldn't tell because nothing could log into the hub - it wouldn't accept the passwords!  Another couple of reboots and it finally remembered its password and accepted the PC, phone, ipad etc. log-ins.

BT have suggested the hub is probably faulty and have booked an engineer visit for Monday to check the whole setup.  Glad we've had our Covid jabs a few weeks ago - he'll be the first person to visit the house for precisely a year! 🙄

In the meantime, they have sent me a 4G Mini-hub, which arrived this morning and has been working successfully since about 9:30am.  Obviously on the 4G connection bandwidth is a bit limited but actually a lot better than I expected: around 20/4Mbps down/up. 😊

I have only switched a couple of things over to the mini-hub and left my desktop PC hard wired and TVs wirelessly connected to the Hub6 for monitoring.  Apart from a 4 hour stint last night during which it behaved normally, allowing streaming catch-ups to the TV, the Hub6 continues to drop broadband connection for no apparent reason while showing stable blue status light.  Sometimes a reboot fixes it, sometimes it doesn't - even a factory reset seems to be a random guess as to whether it will recognise passwords to let anything log in.  🙁

Rather than waste anyone's time analysing stats that look normal enough to me, I'll wait for the engineer call and report back.  At the moment though, like the BT agent, I strongly suspect its a Hub going through its death throws.

0 Ratings