cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 21 of 34

Re: Anyway to speak to someone on helpdesk that actually knows about fibre?

Can you describe your home wiring set up ? Does your line come from a pole ? Do you have any extentions ?

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Highlighted
phillarkin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 34

Honestly no idea about pole will check later when home. Im sure there's a pole in the car park but not sure.

hh5 connected to master prefilter socket- was fitted by Bt Openreach engineer ( not a contractor) when i got BT wholesale fibre from SKY. One phone plugged in to another socket ( a socket fitted by Bt openreach).

No change in setup except openreach modem swapped to HH5  when moved to BT.

No other sockets/extentions connected.

No noise on phone line- either with dial tone or quiet line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 34

If you still have your Openreach modem try plugging it back in and just use the HH5 as router to see if that improves anything.

shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 34

Normally if your line comes in overhead, it will usually be connected to a junction box just after the line enters the property. This is so that if openreach have to replace the line at any time, they would not have to re-wire all the way to the master socket avoiding all the disruption that would entail. From the junction box there should be only one other cable connected, and this cable would go to the rear of your master socket. In the past, it has been known for customers and/or engineers to take a feed off this junction box to serve an extention socket. This seemed to be acceptable before the advent of broadband, however, especially with vdsl, it just serves as an aerial potentially introducing interference on the line......

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
Geoff_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 34

I second the idea of utilising your old Open Reach modem and using the HH5 just as a router.

I used to have loads of problems with HH5 on its own - then bought a modem of a well known auction site and used it with my own router.

Tried an experiment 2 weeks ago with using the HH5 as a router and it's fine - 74meg download, 19meg upload and a ping of 15-8ms - solid connection - no problems
phillarkin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 34

will see if I can dig out the modem when home and check if attached to a pole/junction.

Is there a way to highlight this call to a mod as I am having serious issues with L1 India who have no idea what they are talking about and  keep mentioning it throughput!!!!!!!! nothing to do with it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 34

The mods work by invitation only
phillarkin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 34

Bt have agreed to send a new home hub out- due it losing sync and becoming unresponsive- a 1 hr 13 min call with a manager to get that agreed as they would do NOTHING else. He wouldn't even send out a HH to start with.

So we will see what that does. Also will check the setup for the other questions above. Thank you all for the assistance so far.

Phil

0 Ratings
phillarkin
Aspiring Contributor
Message 29 of 34

No pole/overhead cable (there was in my flat on opp side of street that was throwing me). There's a cabinet(not fibre) at end of drive then a cabinet with fibre cabinet the same distance away from that one.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 30 of 34

It shouldn't keep locking up - it does sound like it's faulty.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings