cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chayground
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Apart from laying Cat 5e everywhere - is there a way to get full broadband speed across the house?

Go to solution

Just upgraded to Ultrafast 2 (lucky me)

Am getting 312Mb/s down and 49Mb/s up which is great

but my main PC is the other end of the house. 

I've got powerline adaptors but they seem to be maxed out at 150Mb/s and the wifi (ac) seems to get to about 120Mb/s  

Apart from chasing out the walls and putting in Cat 5e is there any way I can get the full speed to the PC?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
chayground
Beginner
Message 2 of 9

Re: Apart from laying Cat 5e everywhere - is there a way to get full broadband speed across the hous

Go to solution

I was hoping I might be able to combine the wifi connection and the powerline connection but I think that's probably a non-starter...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Re: Apart from laying Cat 5e everywhere - is there a way to get full broadband speed across the hous

Go to solution

Just out of interest what will you be doing that 150Mbps from powerline adaptors or 120Mbps from wireless is not fast enough.

In answer to your question, if you do decide to run Ethernet cables you would be better to try and future proof and run Cat6 not Cat5e.

Depending on the layout of your house you could consider one of or a combination of the following options.

1) If you can get under the floor of the house run it that way.

2) Running the Ethernet cable outside which would only necessitate the drilling of a couple of holes in the outer wall and installing an Ethernet socket at either end.

3) Removing skirting boards/door architrave and run the cable behind them. 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

these will give you 2 ethernet ports and wifi.

chayground
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@licquorice thanks, I already have powerline adaptors but I think the house wiring means I'm limited to about 150Mb/s

I was trying to avoid putting cables in but it looks like the only way to get the full speed is to lay some proper network cable.

thanks anyway

0 Ratings
chayground
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@gg30340 I'm just greedy I guess!

You have a point about the speed.  I'm on ultrafast 2 so it seemed a shame not to be able to get those speeds to my PC, but it's probably true that 312Mb/s is overkill!  I guess at least all the other devices in the house (phones, kids' tablets, TV etc can make use of the other 150Mb/s while the PC gets what it can!

Thanks for the suggestions though - I'd not thought about running the cable outside - the route from the hub to the PC is a lot simpler via the exterior of the house!  Is Cat 6 ok to be run externally as it is or do I need something extra around it to protect it from the elements?

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

You can get Cat6 that is specifically for out door use. Depending on how you run it, ie if you want to bury it, you would be best to put it into a conduit. If you are just going to run it visibly attached to the wall the outdoor cable would suffice.

chayground
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
Very helpful, thanks for that. 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@chaygroundwrote:

@gg30340 I'm just greedy I guess!

You have a point about the speed.  I'm on ultrafast 2 so it seemed a shame not to be able to get those speeds to my PC, but it's probably true that 312Mb/s is overkill!  I guess at least all the other devices in the house (phones, kids' tablets, TV etc can make use of the other 150Mb/s while the PC gets what it can!

Thanks for the suggestions though - I'd not thought about running the cable outside - the route from the hub to the PC is a lot simpler via the exterior of the house!  Is Cat 6 ok to be run externally as it is or do I need something extra around it to protect it from the elements?

Thanks again

Hi @chayground 

I bought a complete external kit which included everything from a well known auction site several years ago. In my case a simple unprotected external cat 5e still looks like new. If the option is available I have my router up stairs with various cables going through the loft space to various outlets.