cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Savage
Aspiring Contributor
Message 51 of 58

Re: Are BT Openreach lazy ?

I've sent a message to Connecting Devon and Somerset...let's see what they come back with.
Cannot believe how stupidly complicated this is.
0 Ratings
Savage
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 58

After reading the FAQ's on Connecting Devon and Somerset, I think I might have an idea of what happened.
Openreach we're going to upgrade Cabinet 25 as part of their rollout in 2012. For what ever reason ( financial greed I would think) they decided that it wasn't commercially viable.
Meanwhile, when CD&S were carrying out their survey on what cabinet to fund, they saw cabinet 25 was already part of the commercial rollout, and as stated, aren't allowed to be involved.
They cannot look into this now until the next stage of their survey is carried out, and further government funding is secured.

So because of Openreaches last minute mind chafe, we suffer with speeds associated with the dinosaurs.
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 53 of 58

That seems a good hypothesis.  No consolation I know but you are not alone, many are in a similar trap.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Savage
Aspiring Contributor
Message 54 of 58

I've had a reply from CD&S :

The information is based on the private plans that all providers had to submit under European State Aid Law back in 2012. We are not able to specify which providers represent the coverage due to commercial confidence of the data. All we can say is that it was comprehensive for all known providers at the time.

Note the black areas represent both current and planned coverage within the length of the programme as things stood back in 2012. Private plans could have retrospectively changed since. However we would have no knowledge of this. The only way we will know is when we have to conduct another State Aid review which will force all providers to resubmit refreshed plans. At such a point, any areas that have changed will be evaluated by the European Commission for eligibility of public investment of funds, resulting in an intervention area of roughly 10% of premises within Devon and Somerset (i.e. the final 10% left out of our current programme’s 90% target).

As it happens we have just been allocated an additional £38 million from central and local government for extending superfast coverage to 95% of premises by the end of 2017. Due to its size it will require a refresh of our current State Aid approved intervention area. As such the process I have outlined above will be occurring (I would imagine) within the next 8-12 months. First though we will need to undergo a fair and open procurement for a new supplier/s. They will be tasked with delivering a range of technologies capable of delivering superfast broadband to the next 50% of the final 10% by the end of 2017.
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 55 of 58

That is a huge sum, more than a lot of counties got for the current BDUK projects.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Savage
Aspiring Contributor
Message 56 of 58

Just going to move house, will be easier.

Our friend which is a 5 yes 5 minute walk away from us gets 74meg down and 18meg up

I'm stuck at 1.3 down, 0.3 up

Such a backwards country
0 Ratings
eSiennaSkye
Contributor
Message 57 of 58

@Winters2000 wrote:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=105591797753881167263.000490e49745f985a9a02

The red pin down moor lane is cab 25 I live up the top end of worlemoor road by the vets if u look the ones that are blue get fibre there's a road just down from me that is blue and gets fibre if u press on it the guy who done all this says on it this one makes me laugh

Sorry for the thread revive.

I was the one that made that map! I've had countless emails from Openreach since 2010/2011 when I heard about the FTTC rollout starting and many times they confirmed PCP25 being on the upgrade list while the next month they would simply deny it. Ridiculous workplace they must work in if none of them are on the same page.

It's funny to think it's almost 2015 and Cab 25 connected to Worle exchange STILL hasn't been done, and more houses have been built. Ohwell, I'm glad I moved into the high street, speeds couldn't be faster!

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you felt my post was informative and helpful then please click the star below my name/avatar.

Cheers!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Graham345
Contributor
Message 58 of 58

25 may be a temporary 'virtual cabinet' number. Sometimes they issue numbers for continuity, even before a site has been found that can be routed or powered. And with regard to your initial question, I've sometimes found their commitment to do a job timely a little questionable.

0 Ratings