cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smarky
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Are BT openreach rolling out Fibre to exchange only lines?

Okay... I am reasonably lucky that I get pretty fast broadband around 18mbps, however it's slightly unreliable and we do have quite a few connected devices, fibre would be much better and with deals often offered, I have seen fibre cheaper than I currently pay.

However when I checked I could not get fibre, it said something about me having an exchange only line and therefore I wouldn't be able to get it as BT didn't yet have a solution for this.

Now I notice the website has changed and when I search for my postcode it now says

"Good news – we’ll be upgrading your area to Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) soon."

Does this mean something is happening? Because I thought I was wired directly into an exchange and not the cabinet as it said before? The checker doesn't give any more details which is annoying and i'm not sure if this is just some kinda generic message.

Openreach had the street closed that I live on all of last week to do some work overnight, so i start feeling hopeful, but is this hope misplaced?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Are BT openreach rolling out Fibre to exchange only lines?

Cabinets are able to be placed outside Exchanges so it may be the case that is what is being done. This allows exchange lines to be connected to the cabinet and the user will then be able to get a FTTC connection.

This however may not be a better connection/speed than what you already have.

It may be that if you are a fair distance from the exchange when the cabinet is placed there you will obviously be the same distance from the cabinet and in some instances you could be to far from the cabinet to benefit from any speed increase by switching to FTTC.

See graph for speed over distance to the cabinet.

FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 8

If he’s getting 18mbps on ADSL I’d imagine he’s already in close proximity to the Exchange.

0 Ratings
Smarky
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

There is this big green box on my street that Openreach are always going into, is this the exchange? Do BT provide any more information or is it just a matter of waiting,

After some google work, it seems BT Openreach updated there website earlier in the year and i'm not sure if this is now just a default message they show to everyone that doesn't have Fibre, responses from others seem to suggest this is the case, so i'm not really sure if things are moving ahead or if i'm still in the same situation as before.

Part of the reason for asking is I might want to change my broadband package otherwise, however to do so would require me to sign up to another 12 month contract, which i would rather not do if Fibre is coming in this time. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Can you enter you phone number and post results remember delete number.    https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

The exchange is an actual building.  The big green box is a street cab

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
albertj
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

You can upgrade to fibre in contract. And if you’re fibre enabled when BT starts moving standard broadband customers to fibre for the same price, then it will cost the same. 

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your query please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
Smarky
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Exchange HEREFORD

ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date
Other Offerings

Availability Date
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 8--5.5 to 15Available-- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 8Up to 15.5 to 15Available-- 
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available-- 
ADSL Multicast------Available-- 

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Jan-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 8

I've been unable to find any changes at your exchange to give you fibre yet. I seriously doubt Openreach are going to be providing any more exchanges with FTTC cabs for EO lines when the emphesis is on a full fibre roll out now.

Don't hold you breat for FTTP either as its a multi year expansion project.

A bit more info HERE.

0 Ratings