cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snakey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Are BT secretly throttling Infinity?

I have heard this rumour anyway, but since having Infinity installed 2 months ago, the speed has varied between 10 and 24, never near the 38 I could be getting. So I just went through the misery of dealing with the call centre and the lady "ran some tests" and said I had no faults on the line. She got me to power cycle the modem and HH3 and saaid she'd call back tomorrow when she was sure I'd be experiencing fater speeds, even though she stated that she had not maade any changes. Lo and behold, my latest test showed 37mbps! I've never even been close to that before!

So, if she didn't make any changes, why the sudden jump in speed? Or are they throttling Infinity untill someone complains and only then do they open the taps?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Are BT secretly throttling Infinity?

B.T don't intentionally throttle speeds, only when downloading Peer-2-Peer.

Your profile may have changed which has given you the increased speeds.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Only P2P.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Snakey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Fair enough. But why the sudden increase after the power cycle during the helpdesk call? I have power cycled before with no change in speed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

There does seem to be a number of people having  similar issues since the upgrade which points to  a fault within the backhaul somewhere. If you read other forums you will see similar stories from Plusnet customers among others which rules out HH3 issues. Faults are far more likely cause than dark conspiracies but far less fun.

0 Ratings
cameron1590
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

This is often mistaken for a problem with BT Wholesale on a part of the network after your telephone exchange called the "virtual path" You will probably find the virtual path you are connected to is very busy with a lot of customers connected to it. They usually need to double its capacity to fix the speed issue.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

VP's aren't really an issue yet on FTTC as there's not a vast number of customers using the service as opposed to ADSL for example.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings