cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 29

Are BT trying to block VPNs

Go to solution

Are BT attempting to block VPN useage ?

This morning had a call from 02081122864 advising different IPs monitored using our broadband

We refused to discuss on phone and requested email contact for security reasons after requesting this several times a by now irate person on the line hung up mumbling something we could not identify

In the UK the use of VPNs is not illegal and is recommended to help maintain security

Anyone else had this issue and is the number genuine as we never phone a number back for security reasons

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29

Re: Are BT trying to block VPNs

Go to solution

@Mystery57 

Its simply a scam caller, possibly trying to persuade you download something onto your computer.

If you get a lot of these sorts of calls, then buy a call blocking phone, and the problem will go away.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks Keith - the behaviour suggested scam to me

But have just received a "proper" email from BT giving me another PIN - the message said Hello <my name> Here is your PIN, you can use it once

It does not say what for.

The other issue is for a Health reason I never speak on a phone, and cannot use Live Chat as both make me anxious and subsequently ill,  and have requested BT only to ever email me - another reason I am suspicious, also my wife answered the phone and was not asked to confirm her identity at all

All very strange

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 29

Go to solution

Any 020 number is best treated with suspicion.

Yes I know it's the code for London and I Know there are many companies operating out of London who I may have dealings with but how many of them actually advertise their 020 number? the vast majority of them use 03 or 08 numbers.

On top of that, how many of these companies are likely to contact you by phone without you first initiating the contact in some way.

As a rule of thumb 020 = Scam

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution

The PIN is just a scam, as they are trying to access your account by using the "forgotten password" , take no action. I assume you have never logged into your account using a link that was sent to you?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

Definitely not

I heard them ask my wife which email address to send to, she started giving it and I had to stop her

We give nothing out, never follow links etc and use VPNs for secure transactions etc

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution

@Mystery57 

BT only ever contact me via email (or SMS) at my request because I am almost totally deaf. This works fine, any problems, then there's this brilliant community and BT's small but efficient team of Moderators to help.

The caller you mention : 

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/02081122864 

Message 8 of 29

Go to solution
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

Super link Keith

Totally clarifies everything

- these people when caught should be hung, drawn and quartered for the distress they create

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution

It seems your call is bogus, but I am sure BT are blocking traffic via my ExpressVPN connection.

When I connect to any country via the VPN, my IPTV service stops working. When I disconnect the VPN and watch IPTV it works fine... 

So it seems clear that BT are blocking VPNs, or at least MY ExpressVPN!!!

0 Ratings