cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kdol7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Are talktalk really 30% better speeds than BT can deliver?

Used to be a BT customer until mid 2016 and had a 36 mbps connection which I got

BT 2016.pngLets call this 37 mbps

Until 11 jan was with talktalk and here are some speedtest results on the morning of 11th immediately before cut over to BT

talktalk data.png

As can be seen there is also one from 8th Jan a few days earlier. Lets call this 52 mbps (51.7 average)

On 11th Jan in the afternoon the cutover completed to BT and here's the speedtest data from then

BT data on cutover 11 jan.pngcall this 38 mbps (37.6 avg)

This chart clearly demonstrates what happened on cut over day 11th Jan the peak being the talktalk speedtest results

11 jan 18  cut over.png

After waiting the required time for the system to settle in I was still only getting 37/38 mbps so ran the BT diagnostics and it advised me that I had a slow connection between my hub and the exchange and I should contact BT. This I did and the person who I communicated with was only interested in what was happening at my home!! Despite my advising nothing had changed at my home and I had been getting 52 mbps which had dropped to around 37 mbps when BT took over and had not improved. I mentioned that in my opinion it would be a waste of BT's time coming to my house and that the issue needed looking at by the exchange engineers. We agreed a date and time for an engineer to visit my home.

Later that day I received a call from BT telling me a fault had been found and it wouykld be rectified without the need for a visit and I would see improvement in 24 to 48 hours.

Whatever they did had absolutely no impact on improving anything and perhaps things were a little worse. This cahert covers 24th Jan (when the improvement should have been seen) through 11th Feb. In BT's opinion the error tracking was signed off as complete.BT 24 jan to 12 Feb 18.png

I was away from home for a period and when I returned and the performance was no better I again ran the BT diagnostics and got exactly the same error condition 'slow connection between hub and exchange' and to contact BT ..so much for the fix!!

I contacted BT once more and this time went along with the need (in BT's opinion) for an engineer to visit my home. He contacted me ahead of the visit, gave me a better idea of timing and duly arrived. He told me I was getting 37 mbps which I agreed but said there was an error condition showing up and that I should be getting about 54 mbps. For info that is what my next door neighbour gets. He confirmed there was nothing at all wrong with the wiring at my home. Unfortunately the BT engineer booking system was down andhe told me he would book a boost engineer to look into the issue.

On the next day 7th Feb I did see a speed increase (which only lasted one day) and again theerror  tracking system was closed.

I talked to BT again and told them I did not agree the issue had been addressed and the personsaid they would raise this as a complaint. He also told me an engineer would visit me again and that would be on Saturday between 13:00 and 18:00 hrs and that his manager would contact me after the visit???

Needless to say even though I stayed at home betwen the hours communicated there has not been any contact from BT nor  since.

!engineer booking.png its 13:00 on 12th.

As can be seen from the speedtest chart above after the drop off is the data since 8th Feb to date.

Can anyone explain to me how talktalk could deliver speeds of 52 mbps down the same wires whilst BT cannot. Why I was getting 36.88 mbps from BT on a 36 mbps connection and not getting any better now its supposed to be 52 mbps?

As you may tell I am less than happy with the BT customer communications and service.

I have no doubt whatsoever that when the above error condition is closed running the BT diagnostices will tell me the same error condition 'slow connection between hub and exchange' and to contact BT.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Are talktalk really 30% better speeds than BT can deliver?

Can you post your router stats? HERE'S how to get them.

0 Ratings
kdol7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Hi, I have a smart hub and the link you posted does not refer but think this is what you are asking for, if not let me know

HH6 stats.PNG

Here is a BT speedtest I have just run too

BT speedtest 4.PNG

Appreciate any help, Thanks Keith

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 11

Nope. Read the last paragraph in the post linked to.

0 Ratings
kdol7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Sorry about that, you are right, I stopped reading too soon ... its an age thing!!

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ74283095

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B522

Firmware updated:

24-Jan-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 34 Minutes 2 Seconds

Data rate:

10.00 Mbps / 41.17 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

17853 / 41103

Noise margin:

10.5 dB / 6.3 dB

Line attenuation:

17.7 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

63 MB Uploaded / 444 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-9C3G

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-9C3G

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

A0:39:EE:4E:D9:33

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

what speed range did BT quote in your initial letter

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
kdol7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

I am unable to put my hand on the BT letter but had been getting 52 mbps from talktalk for many months and hence anticipated that if they could deliver that then BT would be able to as well. Certainly expected a download speed somewhat better than 37 mbps.

It is BT's own diagnostics that keep pointing out the slow connection etc.

Thanks for your imputs.

The cabinet is number 39 in Cramlington

cabinet  info.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

I think you need engineer visit as from estimate you should be at infinity 1 max connection of 55m  this may help from Keiths help files  http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/customer/complaints.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

out of curiosity have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if your conenction improves?

0 Ratings
kdol7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Just an update.

Received a phone call from BT customer services at 18:00 today, nice lady!

She told me that she had performed a speeed test and that gave 28.5 mbps and went on to tell me that I should get between 49 and 54 mbps. I said that would be nice.

I was advised she had to follow process so another engineer will visit my home presumably to check that the last engineer they sent on  6th Feb did his job correctly and that there really is no problem at my end?

Once again I pointed out that on 11th Jan when the change over happened there was no change at my home at all but the speed dropped from 52 mbps to around 37 mbps. the changes that did happen were at the exchange plus their software that controls things but clearly that is not part of the process that I need to go through.

I was told this time it would be a no charge engineer visit, I mentioned the last visit was also no charge because there was no problem found at my end.

For info, in preparation for the last engineers visit I removed the filtered faceplate I use and plugged a BT filter into the test socket. I unplugged everything hardwired to the router other than my computer and turned off all wireless devices and AVG Internet Security. I also ran some speed tests and the speed increased by 1 mbps but that is also possible running back to back speedtests. As far as I am concerned none of the things mentioned made any difference to the speeds.

I left the connection in that condition for the engineer, he said the same as the lady today, I should be getting around 54 mbps

After the visit I put all of the stuff back as it was and ran further speed tests which again confirmed the stuff was having no impact on the results.

So I am going along with another home visit at the end of the week. I really think this will again prove to be a waste of time and effort but if that is what BT need to do before investigating what is going on at their end then that is the way it will be.

I really wish I could get the information I have to the engineer at the exchange end. It really is obvious to me that when BT unhooked me from talktalk and plugged me into the BT system the speed change was instantaneous and it has stayed there with only minor variations. I have great difficulty in believing these guys will not have seen this sort of issue before and may well have an easy fix?

In the meantime if anyone has any good suggestions please feel free to pass these on.

I really believe it is important for BT to sort this out one way or another since if I moved from them to Sky, talktalk etc they all rely on what BT tell them, I would have no confidence even if I returned to talktalk that things would be as they were!!!

cheers, Keith

0 Ratings