Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramasay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Are these stats looking good?

Go to solution

FTTC was switched from ADSL at @ 08.15 on Thurs 27 whilst we were away until this afternoon. However I know little of FTTC Atten. or SNR. values compared to copper.  The old ADSL stats were Atten 55-58, SNR @ 6.  New stats Atten. 15, SNR 20.5, guess it's only measured from the cab which is @ 200mtrs.  BTW checker says 80MB I get 55 compared to old 3.5 ADSL,  iplayer test - 'Strictly' and in HD, no buffering. Brill.  Anything above 10 is good for me.

However, the phone line does not work, even in test socket, after disconnect of BB to remove faceplate and plug in to test socket, fault has been raised. (guess OR did not patch the phone pairs)

So are these stats OK for FTTC? There was one resync after 2 days and stats below were up till I unplugged to get at test socket.

fttc stats.jpg

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Are these stats looking good?

Go to solution

From those stats I think you must have a flat in the cabinet!! You are syncing at the maximum speed for Infinity1 (55/10) and even have plenty of headroom for Infinity2 (80/20) speeds if you wanted them.

0 Ratings
ramasay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

What is 'a flat in the cabinet', can't find anything on a search.  Really quite happy with sync, and thruput at 50.1 on BTW test so long as its stable, and yes I am on basic package so not worried about 80/20.  What should the noise margin be though on FTTC, 20.6 seems high, but as before I know ADSL target nm was 6, what is fibre? Would the landline fault cause a problem?  As in '10' days training I don't want to mess about too much with disconnects, but of course had to earlier to get at test socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

It was a joke! Your stats are so good you must live on top of the cabinet. Noise margin is meaningless as you are syncing at way below the maximum you could achieve as you are capped at the 55/10 package therefore your noise margin will be very high.

0 Ratings
ramasay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

It was a joke! Your stats are so good you must live on top of the cabinet. Noise margin is meaningless as you are syncing at way below the maximum you could achieve as you are capped at the 55/10 package therefore your noise margin will be very high.

Ha haSmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy,  So the way they cap ones speeds related to package bought is by a setting a higher target SNR?
 Just had another read you mean ' an appartment/home in the cab'. I am 61 please forgive.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

No, not really. A higher SNR margin is a function of the speed being capped from its maximum capability. You have to remember it is a signal to noise ratio margin, the margin part is the important bit. So if your speed is artificially capped at a lower level than your line is capable of carrying, then there is much more margin before noise will affect the signal.

ramasay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Understand now, many thanks. Smiley HappySmiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

If your phone line has a problem then I cannot understand how your stats are do good

if you have a filtered master socket are you sure you connected to test socket?  The test socket is shown by black arrow but you need to remove the middle section shown by yellow arrow before you see test socket

test-socket-thumb.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Incorrectly jumpered in the cabinet, DSLAM connected but not E-side for PSTN, or an Exchange fault.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Or wrong 'test socket'

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings