cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wadesnj
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Asking Openreach to move CSP and ONT to an adjacent building.

Has anyone asked Openreach to move their ONT and external fibre junction box?  I would like to get some idea of the cost while waiting for then to reply to my online enquiry about this work.  I don't think any overhead cable work will be involved as the distance I need it moving is under 10 metres, and their would be enough spare cable to accomodate this. My ONT is currently in my home office in a barn, and I would like to move it into the main house.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Asking Openreach to move CSP and ONT to an adjacent building.

Is this a business or residential inquiry?

0 Ratings
wadesnj
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Sorry, forgot to say, this is a residential enquiry, the equipment is at my home address.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@wadesnj wrote:

Sorry, forgot to say, this is a residential enquiry, the equipment is at my home address.

I think you are going to have to wait for a reply from Openreach, as I cannot find any posts on this forum from anyone who has requested this. It may be cheaper to leave it where it is, and run an Ethernet between the locations.

You can do that between the ONT, and the BT Home hub.

0 Ratings
wadesnj
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Just had a very helpful call from Openreach responding to my web enquiry form from yesterday. He asked a few more questions e.g. - Is there line of site from the pole to the new location on the other building? Yes. After checking my address details, he said it would be classed as an "overhead move", as the fibre cable from the pole would have to be attached to the gable end of the house (it is currently attached to the barn gable end) and that a fibre engineer would be required to move the CSP and the ONT to my new location. He then quoted what sounds like a very reasonable £120 + VAT, so I will definitely be going ahead with this.

0 Ratings
wadesnj
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Just to clarify, I already have an ethernet Cat6 cable running from the barn into the house into a switch and WAP to provide the broadband in the house, but we are in the process of converting and selling off the barn as a new residential unit, so do not have the option of leaving the CSP/ONT where they are.

0 Ratings