cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iqzy
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Asus N66u to replace my HH*?

I've got the HH* and not liking it thus far. People have been saying the Asus N66u got ridiculously far and great wireless speed and signal. 

So can someone provide me with the configuration for this in layman's terms as in does it still need to be connected to modem and what custom firmware is the best etc.

Thanks

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
soapy
Expert
Message 2 of 22

Re: Asus N66u to replace my HH*?

yes you connect the n66u to the modem the same way the hh was connected, in the setup use bthomehub@btbroadband.com for the username and make up anything you want for the password, you cannot leave the password blank, just use anything you want so it has a password. the wifi range on the n66u is very good and they recommend you update the routers firmware to the latest version from the asus support website but for me i found fw version 3.0.0.4 276 to be the best and most reliable, you can get this from the support site as well as the latest. the router will automatically bring up the set up page when you first connect it and power it on, the address for the router is 192.168.1.1

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 3 of 22

Yes you need the modem and you have to configure a PPPOE connection with the username such as bthomehub@btbroadband.com
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
kieran_iw
Beginner
Message 4 of 22

I'm using the Asus RT-n66u 'Dark Knight' with Merlin firmware which is used with Infinity2 and happy - was using HomeHub 4.

Regards, K.

0 Ratings
Barfly
Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Was looking for an N66u on eBay and noticed the guy selling claimed he was doing so as it didn't work with BT Sport. He was going to get an archer c7 instead. Is this a problem with the N66u?

0 Ratings
rdnixon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 22

I'm using an Asus N65u - works great, miles better Wifi than the HH3 it replaced. Works fine with BT Sport. Bit cheaper than N66u and does a good job.

0 Ratings
kieran_iw
Beginner
Message 7 of 22

@Barfly wrote:

Was looking for an N66u on eBay and noticed the guy selling claimed he was doing so as it didn't work with BT Sport. He was going to get an archer c7 instead. Is this a problem with the N66u?

Depending what firmware version he was using, some tent to give up before flashing to the lastest firmware.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 22

Mentioned here http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/vision/multicast.html
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
soapy
Expert
Message 9 of 22

as legitimise sailing says they are supposed to work fine with bt sport, i dont have anything but infinity so i cannot give an opinion but they are super routers

0 Ratings
iqzy
Contributor
Message 10 of 22

I have the home hub 5 which is a single connection no modem needed but not fond of home hubs. So will look at the Asus N66u although not looking forward to using it with a modem again
0 Ratings