cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
con_dorleone
Contributor
Message 11 of 22

Re: Asus N66u to replace my HH*?

What sort of speeds are you chaps getting with the Asus?  Does it affect 'ip profiles' in anyway when installed?

Cheers.

0 Ratings
kieran_iw
Beginner
Message 12 of 22

@con_dorleone wrote:

What sort of speeds are you chaps getting with the Asus?  Does it affect 'ip profiles' in anyway when installed?

Cheers.

I'm getting 74 down 18 up, same with HH4 and Billion BiPAC 7800n 🙂

Infinity 2 with clean line x

0 Ratings
iqzy
Contributor
Message 13 of 22

Can someone explain to me best settings to use for range? I've changed to 40mhz on both 2ghz and 5ghz networks. Also put as N only. Getting abysmal range from these. I've also pointed antennas towards my room. Getting only 2 bars here and speed not good enough at all. 

What am I doing wrong (PS. changed channel to 1 as less congested in my room but hasn't made a difference)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 22

The aerials are supposed to point upwards. What device are you using to receive the wireless?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
iqzy
Contributor
Message 15 of 22

@ray_dorset wrote:
The aerials are supposed to point upwards. What device are you using to receive the wireless?

I've put it on the stand, hench it is slanted, and have pointed the aerials upwards but at an angle which can reach my room. Laptop wireless signal fluctuates, get 2 bars normally but randomly goes to 4. My router is based in the front room, my room is I say 40 feet away. Laptop now randomly gets 34mb on my 78mb line in my room, but my iPhone cannot even find the wireless router at all!

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 22

@iqzy wrote:

@ray_dorset wrote:

I've put it on the stand, hench it is slanted, and have pointed the aerials upwards but at an angle which can reach my room. Laptop wireless signal fluctuates, get 2 bars normally but randomly goes to 4. My router is based in the front room, my room is I say 40 feet away. Laptop now randomly gets 34mb on my 78mb line in my room, but my iPhone cannot even find the wireless router at all!

Should set it to auto not directly 40 or 20 - also most devices will only give a max of around 34mb wireless unless you change the adapters. Don't forget the further away the less speed you'll get and some devices won't pickup the signal - ideally the best place for any wireless router is in the middle of the house, but most people can't do this and either live with no wifi in one part of house or use a repeater or create another access point.

0 Ratings
iqzy
Contributor
Message 17 of 22

@walkerx wrote:

@iqzy wrote:

@ray_dorset wrote:

Should set it to auto not directly 40 or 20 - also most devices will only give a max of around 34mb wireless unless you change the adapters. Don't forget the further away the less speed you'll get and some devices won't pickup the signal - ideally the best place for any wireless router is in the middle of the house, but most people can't do this and either live with no wifi in one part of house or use a repeater or create another access point.

wirless.png

Here's my settings. My laptop getting a signal why can't my iPhone find the wifi at all? If I put it on Auto, when I am next to the router cannot get the full 70+mb but with it on 40mhz I get the full speed. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 22

Sorry, I'm still confused. What device is that settings page from?

What laptop are you trying to connect?

Which iPhone?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Johnelf
Contributor
Message 19 of 22

With relation to the iPhone
Try going into setting on the iPhone. Then reset all settings. This will probably cure the iPhone problem.
John
0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 20 of 22

Unless you are in a wifi isolated area the chances of benefiting from 40Mhz mode on 2.4Ghz are low.
It requires optimal conditions on certain channels to work.
I'd stick to to 20Mhz personally.
Unless you need backward compatibility with b/g mode I'd force it to N mode.
0 Ratings