cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Asus router - data rate is 73% of max rate

I am on the "Fibre with BT Halo 2" package.

I have been using Home Hub 6 for some time now, and had pretty reliable service - 52 down / 15 up, with nice solid graphs. Downstream sync speed was around 60mbps.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1624976134128012755

This weekend I am trying out an Asus DSL-AC68U router, which is giving me  46 down / 16 up:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1625420306689075055

However, I see in the router's diagnostics that my downstream "data rate" doesn't come close to the "max rate" figure, which I assume is my sync speed? Data rate is 73% of max rate.

DownUp
Data Rate52567 kbps19272 kbps
Max Rate72112 kbps19273 kbps

I have previously had a situation where my download speeds were throttled (this might have been back in the ADSL2 days) and I wasnt't receiving the full speed that my line was capable of. I ssuspect I'm in the same situation again now.

I had a web-chat with support, who decided all was OK with my profile, so are now sending out a tech to investigate.

Is it possible that someone can check my line for an issue, which might avoid a visit? BTW, I had to reboot the new router a few times to get it working - it reported sync & an internet connection but browser could not display pages. It worked OK after I set MTU to 1400 & rebooted my PC - I suspect it was the reboot that picked up a new DHCP config. MTU is now reset to 1492.

If it helps, I ran the checker at https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL  - see below. An engineer rewired when I upgraded to VDSL - it says Master Socket 5C.

Alternatively - am I just mis-understanding what that "max rate" figure means?

Thanks for any help,

Martin

Featured ProductsDown highDown lowUp highUp low

Handback threshold

VDSL Range A (Clean)73.754201447  
VDSL Range B (Impacted)71.448.32012.338.4  

Observed SpeedsVDSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed51.66
Max Observed Upstream Speed19.16
Observed Date2021-07-04

Premise EnvironmentStatus
Bridge TapN
VRIN
NTE Face PlateN
Last Test Date22-06-2021

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Asus router - data rate is 73% of max rate

i suspect that all the resets which you did when changing routers and then again trying to get connection working have resulted in DLM  taking action to reduce speed and increase noise margin. Unfortunately you have not posted the current noise margin but will be higher then normal 6db

If you maintain stable connection your speed should recover nearer attainable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Downstream SNR is 3.1dB.

As I said, I suspect my sync (~72mbps) is much higher than with the home hub 6 (~60mbps), but there is something setting a limit to my data rates.

My speedtest (46.3) seems to be about 64% of my sync (72.5).

As you say, if DLM was interfering I would expect the SNR to be increased and the sync rate to be reduced (and for this to then gradually improve over a period of days). I understand (but very happy to be corrected) that DLM won't leave the SNR at 3dB but then limit the data rate.

Conversely, if I was on a 40mbps package, I'd expect my sync to max out and then see something like 37mbps speedtest over a 70mbps connection??

Again - happy to be corrected if I've mis-understood.

Thanks for all your help, Martin

MP99_0-1625427974408.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

From what you have posted you do not have a sync speed of 72mb but currently your sync/connection speed is about 51/52mb from your router stats and the dslchecker results  obviously as you connection speed is about 52mb then your download speed will be less probably 42/46mb by ethernet   your connection time is only 2hrs is that manual reset or router dropping connection?

Any line noise. Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

@MP99 

How do your settings compare to mine:-

TimCurtis_0-1625472096683.png

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Using this Asus router is highly likely to be part of the problem for sure. This model uses a Mediatek chipset which is known to have significant compatibility and performance issues, and I believe Openreach disable g.inp when detecting them being used which will reduce performance. Your stats show Interleaving is now in use which will generate an artificially high 'attainable' rate.
If you search some of the enthusiast forums such as kitz.co.uk you can find more info on why using any other router (including the BT Hub) is probably better. 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

@bkehoe 

Can't really agree with you there.

If I switch to a SmartHub my download speed increases slightly but my upload decreases noticeably . These are my stats currently:-

TimCurtis_0-1625481666316.png

I've only recently been switched to Interleave but my ping is 7ms generally but I don't game so not bothered anyway.

You'll notice from my stats & those of @MP99 that the connection is showing G.INP as activated.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Thanks for pointer to 17070. A little steady buzz on there. Wired handset, but pretty old, so not sure if there's any chance it could be the handset?

What would the 72112 kbps figure be if it's not the sync speed?

cheers, Martin

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Report a noisy line.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

@MP99 wrote:

What would the 72112 kbps figure be if it's not the sync speed?

It is not your actual sync speed, it is the predicted maximum speed your line is capable of. The 52M figure is your actual sync speed.

0 Ratings