I've had a frustrating time of things lately with my broadband and BT as a whole.
I live in the countryside, therefore I'm not expecting super-fast speeds, however about 4.5 months back, our humble 10 mbps download became the most inconsistent pile of rubbish I've ever known.
In that same time, I've had no less than 6 engineers out, each finding different issues
- One factory reset the hub and removed a filter. No joy.
- One performed an external test and highlighted the cable and junction box that brings the connection to the house as faulty and in need of replacement.
- The guy that was meant to do that came and said this wasn't the issue and that a power line up a pole had sunken too close to the broadband cable. Guys from the national grid come out and lower the wire. No luck.
- Another engineer comes out and performs a line test, says it all looks fine and leaves.
- Another guy comes and says the issue is at the cabinet and says we have a faulty port that isn't syncing correctly and swaps ports. We thought this did it.
- Three days after, we had another engineer come out to check things, the line looked all good.
Four days of proper internet, before the broadband s**ts the bed yet again.
Today we've had an average ping of 1,412 ms, 1.13 download and 0.26 upload. Completely unusable.
I've spoken to two BT customer service staff today, the first said he'd call back after completing a test and never did. The second said that our 'case manager' would call back and never did.
At this point, I'm running out of ideas and patience. Any help at all is appreciated.
I've read a few similar threads so I'll try and pre-empt the info you'll be after, but if I haven't supplied something, please just let me know.
I'm using the BT Smart Hub on a BT Infinity package. I believe I'm using the Openreach NTe5 Master socket.
I've done multiple quiet line tests and they're all silent.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Can you post hub stats advanced settings then technical log information
Thanks for getting in touch.
Here's what I think you're after:
your connection time is only 14hrs is that due to hub dropping connection or manual reset? has your connection been dropping out daily? have you tried using the test socket with a filter to eliminate master faceplate and any internal wiring - I realise you are currently using filtered master socket
which exchange and cab are you on?
from your stats you are right at bottom of expected range according to dslchecker
Hi again imJolly,
Yes, we've tried the test port multiple times and it gives the same reading.
I belive that was a manual reset in an effort to spark something into life, but it will often drop out, although not as much since the last chap changed the ports at the cabinet.
I believe the exchange is 'Appledore' and 'Cabinet 3'.
If anyone at BT actually reads these forums, here’s my last speed test result.
At this point, I’m not even sure why I pay for internet.
Personally, I think your line would perform better if you were on an ADSL2 connection (4.5 to 11.5Mbs) , as you are really too far away from the cabinet for VDSL, as it used much higher frequencies which drop off very quickly.
I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.
Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting.
I'm sorry to hear about all the problems you're having with your connection, if I'm being honest it sounds like it's been a real nightmare.
I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team. We are really busy at the moment so it could take us a few days to pick up your message.
Thanks for flagging this one @Keith_Beddoe