cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
stuart0870
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

At what stage should I be kicking up a fuss ?

I want to start off by saying I've had Infinity Option 2 since June of last year, had my Vigor 2750n router in place since an hour before the engineers turned up to make sure it was working, the router synced at 9995mb/s up, 39985mb/s down, and my downloads capped at 4.0MB/s, from Steam etc.

Last Friday, I requested an upgrade to Infinity 2, I had no reason to think I would have problems, as I hadn't had up to this point, except for one wide outage late last year, I checked the line checker, and the BT sales droid when I called, confirmed the same speed as the website, I could expect 69MB down, 20MB up, excellent, it'll take 3 working days, which in my estimation means tomorrow.

However, on Sunday night/Monday morning, my internet connection dropped a couple of minutes, I log into my router, and I see something very similar to this (that I have just taken).

Vigor 2750n

You can imagine my joy, 20mb down, 80mb up, better that I had been offered, so first thing to try, a nice big linux .iso distribution, but I only get 3.2MB/s download, so I try a Steam game, that goes up as high as 3.6MB/s but it has always been a rock stead 4MB, so I start to worry, and come looking on the forums, and then I REALLY start to worry, because everything I am reading is leading me to think I'm not alone.

Yes, I know I am in the 10 day settling down period, yes, I know there may be a massive increase come tomorrow, and whatever switch is changed on my account goes live, but WHAT IF this is as good as it gets, I have seemingly gone backwards following an upgrade.

So what I am asking is, at what point should I be contacting BT and complaining ?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
stuart0870
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: At what stage should I be kicking up a fuss ?

For reference, these are two speedtests from today:

20120424_1346_BT_SPEEDTEST.JPG

The BT one really worries me 😞

0 Ratings
Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

Hi

I guess you could complain at any time you want to but, as you pointed out you are in the 10 day period, so I guess if you do complain BT will point that out to you and ask you to wait.

Stick with it you never in the 10 days it may get better.

Edit. If it stays low after the 10 days is over then phone up BT and try to resolve low speeds but I would hope that it gets better for you during that time.

Edit The BT speedtest is not very good at getting the speeds right i would not go by that.

0 Ratings
MeanMint
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

I would suggest that the speed checkers are wrong as you are getting close to 4MB on Steam which would suggest to me you are getting 40Mbps throughput.

Try another speed test sit such as http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ and see what your results say then.

http://meanmint.spaces.live.com/
0 Ratings
stuart0870
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for your input, but 3.6MB isn't close to 4MB when I have religiously gotten 4MB dead, as for the speed test, I'll post those results when I get home, but they've never really failed me before.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Can I ask if you're testing this with a wired Ethernet connection or wirelessly?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
stuart0870
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Wired, PC is plugged directly into the router.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Have you got the latest firmware on your router?

For the purpose of thoroughness (BT would make you do this anyway) Can you plug in the Openreach modem and home hub and see if the issue is still persistent?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
stuart0870
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Yes, latest firmware v1.5.1, I had already come to the decision I had to test using the Open Reach kit, but it's been shoved to the back of a cupboard, under the stairs, since the engineers turned up with it back in June, but I'll dig it out, and plug it direct into the test socket for testing purposes, but given that it's never been taken out of their respective boxes, is there any pre-configuration that I'll need to apply first ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Nah mate should be plug and play 🙂
0 Ratings