cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adrianhand
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

At wits end with infinity drop outs

My connection has never been stable - it would typically bounce every few days. Speeds were ~27meg on a clean range of 25-37. Fine, at least it worked.

Note whenever I talk about speeds I am refering to sync speed as reported by my smart hub.

About a month ago speed dropped to 16-20meg, and the connection would be up and down like a fiddlers elbow.

I jumped through the hoops from support, straight into the master socket (I dont have any extensions wired) etc, no change. I think I had wound up on a banded profile because the speed would top out at 20meg.

They initially insisted no fault found, at 5th time of asking my line did fail one of the tests that they run whilst youre on the phone which I believe is what got my case handed over to openreach.

1st engineer visit did not want access to the property - as far as I can tell the extent of his actions were to squirt half a tube of silicone into the cable entry point on the side of my house.

2nd engineer visit - this one came inside but he didnt do anything apart from type a few bits into his ipad (including filling out his own feedback questionnaire before he asked me to sign is) and **bleep** on my bathroom floor.

3rd visit was more fruitful - the dude renewed all the connections between me and the telepgraph pole (reterminated master socket etc). At every turn he said the line was passing tests regardless.

Then he reset the DLM - my connection came back up with performance restored and it syncs at ~30.

But its still up and down all the time - I cant watch half an hour on netflix without seeing the light on the hub go orange, then you know whats coming.

I returned to the support phone number today but because my initial fault with OR is closed, I am back at square one 'can you plug the router in to the master socket please' and they won't send another engineer out. I cant even leave and talk to Virgin (unless I wanto pay twice or an early termination fee) because I am in contract until june.

The fella on the phone this morning even advised me to 'wait until the new year' because apparently its a busy time of year (what), and jump through their hoops again, then when the engineer comes out just ask him to put a note on the case to the effect of 'unfixable' just so that I can leave the contract penalty free.

SO. Does anyone have any great ideas? All I want is for it to be 'good enough' like it was for the first four years but the state the connection is in now, it may as well not be there.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: At wits end with infinity drop outs

Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
adrianhand
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Hello Keith, thank you for your reply. I have not done the quiet line test personally but it was done in my presence with the engineer on monday and the line was quiet. Do you think it is worth repeating by myself?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

@adrianhand wrote:

Hello Keith, thank you for your reply. I have not done the quiet line test personally but it was done in my presence with the engineer on monday and the line was quiet. Do you think it is worth repeating by myself?

Yes, I would listen to the test for a while, as you may be able to hear any crackling noise, especially when you see the home hub lights change colour.

Is the home hub actually rebooting, or just disconnecting?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
adrianhand
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Thank you I will give it a good long listen.

The light goes from blue, to flashing orange, to steady orange, then back to blue again.

The 'system uptime' as reported by the hub does not reset - only the 'network uptime'.

(During the re-sync, though, the admin webpage is unavailable, as if the whole thing had rebooted - but it didnt)

I will do the quiet line test and report back.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

That could be a faulty hub. Take a look at the event log, and see if it shows anything.

There is a firmware  issue that can cause disconnections while uploading a lot of data.

0 Ratings
adrianhand
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

That is interesting, Keith.

I am running firmware dated 21-May-2018, version SG4B1000B540.

As far as I am aware you cannot manually update the firmware on a smart hub - do you know if this version is the newest and/or afflicted by said bug?

When I get in I will retrieve the event log as well as do the quiet line test.

One of the lads at work has given me a draytek 2860 which I will give a try depending on what happens with the above. Its very odd (to me anyway!) that nobody in all my tech support calls has pointed to the hub as a possible cause. Is there a general concensus as regards best 3rd party router option?

Thank you again! I dont know if you work for BT but you have been more help than anyone I've spoke to yet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

No, I do not work for BT any more, retired after nearly 42 years.

There is a firmware patch for the uploading bug, but that has to be manually applied by BT, and only if that is what is causing the problem, which is not proven to be the case at the moment. It may only apply to the home hub 5, and not the home hub 6.

By all means try the Draytek router, as it will prove whether its a home hub or line issue. If you have BT YouView, I am not sure whether its compatible.

The cheapest third party router that works with all BT ADSL/VDSL services (Not Ultrafast), including BT YouView, is the TP Link TD-W9970 (£40). Its very stable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 15

TP-Link do a range of VDSL routers at various prices depending on your network needs and seem very popular.

The TD-W9970 is the lowest priced for about £40 from a well known catalogue store.

0 Ratings
adrianhand
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Thank you both, I will conduct my own testing as discussed and report back.

Will definitely have a look at the TP-Link options, I imagined being on the hook for more than £40 so if it turned out to be the router, that would be a real blessing.

0 Ratings