cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BB (download) speed dropped to nearly 1/4

Hi, switched to BT fibre last Wednesday, download speeds exceeded 80mbps (mostly high 70's, more than satisified with that) but today it's dropped to around 20mbps down (still 20mb up, that hasn't changed). No other devices are connected currently other than my wired connection directly to the router. Is line training still a thing? I had a good few days of excellent download speed so it seems odd that it's dropped so drastically.

This is from the Technical Log on the Hub 2.

Data rate:19.999 Mbps / 75.009 Mbps

Maximum data rate:23.494 Mbps / 76.488 Mbps

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BB (download) speed dropped to nearly 1/4

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

if your connection speed is 75mb on an attainable 76.4mb then connection looks good   if you mean your download has dropped there is no guarantee on download speed  are you using ethernet connection or wifif?  if wifi then download speed will vary depending on strength of wifi signal

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Hi there, connection to router is via ethernet (direct, not via power networking). No other devices connected. Speed on Wednesday afternoon (tested by downloading an Ubuntu ISO) was 81mbps max, around 79mbps average. Today it's max 24mbps download.

Quiet line test is very quiet.

The broadband availability checker says: There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line, using the address checker instead shows:

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability DateHigh Low High Low      VDSL Range A (Clean) 

VDSL Range B (Impacted) 

74.454.918.512.149AvailableAvailable
72.448.418.110.735AvailableAvailable
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessWBC FTTP
Up to 1000Up to 220--AvailableKCI2 Assure
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability DateWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 14--8 to 18.5Available
Up to 14Up to 18 to 18.5Available
Up to 7--6 to 8Available
2----Available
2----Available
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y

Router stats below (after switching to use master socket):

Product nameBT Smart Hub 2
Serial number2037097867
Fireware versionv0.21.03.07094-BT (Thu Jul  9 17:43:55 2020)
Board versionR01
GUI version1.56 15_02_2019
DSL uptime0 days 0 Hours 1 Mins 36 Secs
Data rate20.0 Mbps / 74.9 Mbps
Maximum Data rate23.6 Mbps / 76.4 Mbps
Noise margin15.3/6.1
Line attenuation8.6/16.3
Signal attenuation8.6/17.7
VLAN id101
Upstream error controlOff
Downstream error controlOff
Data sent / received2.1 MB Uploaded / 15.0 MB Downloaded
Broadband usernamebthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-FiActive
2.4 GHz wireless network nameBT-6HAKGW
2.4 GHz wireless channelSmart (Channel11)
5 GHz wireless network nameBT-6HAKGW
5 GHz wireless channelSmart (Channel36)
Wireless SecurityWPA2 (Recommanded)
Wireless modeMode 1
FirewallOn
MAC addressE4:75:DC:2B:F7:E9
Software variant-
Boot loader 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

if you were showing download speeds in excess of 75mb then there is a problem as you cannot get faster than connection speed and after allowing for overheads download speed will be a few mb slower than connection speed

what do you get running this

https://fast.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Well, torrent client downloading a linux ISO reported 81mbps but how it calculates that I don't know, I'm not so much worried about that and more worried about getting 23-24mbps today.

The link you've given me shows 23mbps down and 18 up.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

I've finally got to the bottom of this. I did a speed test on my phone (using wifi obvs) and was getting >40mbps so I popped a wifi dongle on my PC, disabled the wired connection and got >50mbps, the only difference between the two was my wired connection was using OpenDNS instead of relying on the routers DNS, I set it back to automatically get the DNS server details and now I'm back up to around 67mbps download (which is fine, eldest and wife are at home hosing bandwidth).

Never knew DNS would have such an effect but happy it's sorted now.

0 Ratings