Hi, switched to BT fibre last Wednesday, download speeds exceeded 80mbps (mostly high 70's, more than satisified with that) but today it's dropped to around 20mbps down (still 20mb up, that hasn't changed). No other devices are connected currently other than my wired connection directly to the router. Is line training still a thing? I had a good few days of excellent download speed so it seems odd that it's dropped so drastically.
This is from the Technical Log on the Hub 2.
Maximum data rate:23.494 Mbps / 76.488 Mbps
welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods
please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information .
if your connection speed is 75mb on an attainable 76.4mb then connection looks good if you mean your download has dropped there is no guarantee on download speed are you using ethernet connection or wifif? if wifi then download speed will vary depending on strength of wifi signal
Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal
enter your phone number and post results remember to delete number https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL
Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem
Hi there, connection to router is via ethernet (direct, not via power networking). No other devices connected. Speed on Wednesday afternoon (tested by downloading an Ubuntu ISO) was 81mbps max, around 79mbps average. Today it's max 24mbps download.
Quiet line test is very quiet.
The broadband availability checker says: There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line, using the address checker instead shows:
|Up to 1000||Up to 220||--||Available||KCI2 Assure|
|Up to 14||--||8 to 18.5||Available|
|Up to 14||Up to 1||8 to 18.5||Available|
|Up to 7||--||6 to 8||Available|
Router stats below (after switching to use master socket):
|Product name||BT Smart Hub 2|
|Fireware version||v0.21.03.07094-BT (Thu Jul 9 17:43:55 2020)|
|GUI version||1.56 15_02_2019|
|DSL uptime||0 days 0 Hours 1 Mins 36 Secs|
|Data rate||20.0 Mbps / 74.9 Mbps|
|Maximum Data rate||23.6 Mbps / 76.4 Mbps|
|Upstream error control||Off|
|Downstream error control||Off|
|Data sent / received||2.1 MB Uploaded / 15.0 MB Downloaded|
|2.4 GHz wireless network name||BT-6HAKGW|
|2.4 GHz wireless channel||Smart (Channel11)|
|5 GHz wireless network name||BT-6HAKGW|
|5 GHz wireless channel||Smart (Channel36)|
|Wireless Security||WPA2 (Recommanded)|
|Wireless mode||Mode 1|
|Boot loader||0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)|
if you were showing download speeds in excess of 75mb then there is a problem as you cannot get faster than connection speed and after allowing for overheads download speed will be a few mb slower than connection speed
what do you get running this
Well, torrent client downloading a linux ISO reported 81mbps but how it calculates that I don't know, I'm not so much worried about that and more worried about getting 23-24mbps today.
The link you've given me shows 23mbps down and 18 up.
I've finally got to the bottom of this. I did a speed test on my phone (using wifi obvs) and was getting >40mbps so I popped a wifi dongle on my PC, disabled the wired connection and got >50mbps, the only difference between the two was my wired connection was using OpenDNS instead of relying on the routers DNS, I set it back to automatically get the DNS server details and now I'm back up to around 67mbps download (which is fine, eldest and wife are at home hosing bandwidth).
Never knew DNS would have such an effect but happy it's sorted now.