cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 61 of 183

Re: BBC Iplayer not watchable with BT INFINITY - warning!

Are those of you with issues using a Home Hub 3 Type A or Type B.  I had a type B originally and it was awful, particularly with BT Vision.  I now have a type A and it's great.

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
TrevorC
Contributor
Message 62 of 183

I too have this problem. I switched from O2 with ADSL2 4mbps download to BT fibre infinity 2 weeks ago with about 37 mbps download. Yet now I get continual buffering in the evenings. I'm connecting my Goodmans freesat box by ethernet cable to the gigabit port on the BT router. BT have tested the speed and that's ok, so they're washing their hands of the problem. That can't be right can it? Yet curiously I can watch iplayer on my laptop .... Can anyone help? Do I need to adjust settings in the router for the Goodmans box?
0 Ratings
TrevorC
Contributor
Message 63 of 183

What's worse is that I can watch BBC iplayer on Youtube with no buffering.

0 Ratings
apshep
Contributor
Message 64 of 183

I have Infinity with type B. A Panasonic TXL37Dt30B plugged straight into the Hub with a download speed of 75mbps.
At 8 in the morning player is generally fine on HD but afternoon and evening it buffers with all quality settings.
Panasonic believe it is a Home Hub problem. BT say not. It used to work! That may have been before I went over to Infinity 2 but Im not sure when the problem started but it is infuriating and nobody will assist.
Mods - can you please advise?????????

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 65 of 183

You probably need to send an explicit request to the mods.   at: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

0 Ratings
TrevorC
Contributor
Message 66 of 183

Is this the reason?  FRom BT Help pages:

TV services

Most of the time TV services such as BBC iPlayer should perform better on BT Infinity than on standard broadband. Downloading things like HD movies will be much faster, and video-streaming should be much smoother.

However, as with standard broadband, you may notice your speed reduces at busy times. This is because we actively manage the higher levels of demand during these peak periods to ensure all customers receive an acceptable experience. Such speed reductions may sometimes cause TV content to ‘buffer’ (stutter).

You could also experience buffering if you use a wireless connection between your Hub and your computer. That’s why we recommend a fully wired connection right the way to your computer, to achieve the very best speeds. If you do use wireless, we suggest that you connect using the latest, fastest ‘N’ standard.

0 Ratings
BGunter
Beginner
Message 67 of 183

@TrevorC wrote:

Is this the reason?  FRom BT Help pages:

TV services

Most of the time TV services such as BBC iPlayer should perform better on BT Infinity than on standard broadband. Downloading things like HD movies will be much faster, and video-streaming should be much smoother.

However, as with standard broadband, you may notice your speed reduces at busy times. This is because we actively manage the higher levels of demand during these peak periods to ensure all customers receive an acceptable experience. Such speed reductions may sometimes cause TV content to ‘buffer’ (stutter).

You could also experience buffering if you use a wireless connection between your Hub and your computer. That’s why we recommend a fully wired connection right the way to your computer, to achieve the very best speeds. If you do use wireless, we suggest that you connect using the latest, fastest ‘N’ standard.

As a sufferer myself a few thoughts

Prior to BT Infinity I had a 7 Mb download speed and had no problem watch SD or HD BBC iplayer on my Freesat stb at any time of day. No stuttering or freezes. This was also on WiFi.

Changed to 34Mb Infinity and cant watch iplayer channel on SD even at any time without stuttering and/or freezing.

BUT after an update on my Samsung SMART Tv I can now watch BBC iplayer perfectly through the app.

Looks as if there is a conflict between BT and the iplayer tv channel/stb

Of course you could all upgrade your TVs to SMART ones but it really shouldn't be necessary.

0 Ratings
TrevorC
Contributor
Message 68 of 183

@BGunter wrote:

Looks as if there is a conflict between BT and the iplayer tv channel/stb

That is what I suspect that thier service or router in incompatible with iplayer through many set top boxes.  But will BT admit this?

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 69 of 183

Hi folks,

We aren't aware of any problems with set top boxes and streaming iPlayer content but if anyone's having this problem please fill out our contact form as linked above and mark it for my attention. Please also attach the following information:

- Broadband technology (ADSL/BT Infinity)

- Current speeds along with an up to date, full speedtest from www.speedtester.bt.com (not the beta test)

- Make, model and firmware on your set top box

- Make, model and firmware on your router and whether you are connecting via a wired/wireless connection

- General overview of the issues you are having as well as whether it is affecting any other apps such as Lovefilm, Netflix, ITV/Channel 4 player etc.

Please make sure to include all of the above information - once we have enough examples we'll get the problem looked at to see if we can identify any problems on our end.

Cheers

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
TrevorC
Contributor
Message 70 of 183

Dean McFarland is looking into this problem:  He needs more informaiton from others with this problem as described above.  Reply to him via:   http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 mentioning his name and maybe a picture will emerge of what this problem is and how BT can resolve it.

0 Ratings