Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DazzaNI
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

BIPNI / FTTC & FTTdp (Northern Ireland Broadband Program) - BT Infinity

Go to solution

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can provide any assitance.

As per the title I am in NI and BT have recently undertaken a 'Country Wide' improvement of the Fibre infrastructure under the Broadband Improvement Project NI (BIPNI). During the 'wave' of activity you could pop your postcode into the checker and it would tell you whether you were due to be reached by the program, I was, or so I thought.

Here is my issue. Ever since Fibre was introduced into my nearest  village BT (Wholesale), BT (Openreach / Ireland) & BT Retail have all been living off of the very same database on indicated speeds to premises. I am currentl 1.6 miles from my serving cabinet, to far for even the very best Fibre Signal, well if I want anything more then 2 Mbps anyway, this information is obtained by entering in a telephone number.

I have received a flurry of BT engineers through my door, all of which gave me the same grimace everytime with the same question, 'how fast did they say you could get', '21Mbps according to the checker', 'not a chance you're 1.6 miles from the cabinet', 'I know.....' etc, etc.

It doesn't matter who you contact in BT, or my current ISP, the answer is the same, of course you can get fibre, you can get 21Mbps. At this point I can do nothing but bang my head against a wall. The checker is wholely incorrect, I have advised them of this, a number of BT Engineers have put it on record and yet it is still wrong and causing me grief.

Anyway, I have a friend who is also a BT Engineer and he made enquiriies for me as to the next plans to fill the Fibre Gap. Apparently Fibre to the Distribution Point (FTTdp) has just started to be rolled out in NI at the turn of 2016. However, absolutely no-one as able to give any indication of the planned deployment area's or timescales of rollout. Now call me impatient if you will but I have had 5 years of cold calls and promises from BT about how I can get Superfast Fibre, (which incidently is 24Mbps+ and not 21Mbps if I could receive it anyway), sign up for Infinity, you won't regret it, those sort of things, and I really want to put this to bed.

So, now I have bored the pants off you all, sorry about that, does anyone, or can anyone provide any source of information to outline the deployment of FTTdp into NI? Ringing BT direct gives me the same nonsense answers every time that I have outlined above, I just cannot get to anyone technical enough to give me a proper answer. I am at a loss.

Thanks for reading...

Dazza

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: BIPNI / FTTC & FTTdp (Northern Ireland Broadband Program) - BT Infinity

Go to solution
I have heard of FTTfp or FTTrN (remote node) being rolled out in NI but as to a roll out plan, no idea. I suspect you'd need to speak to the local authority to see if they have any input into which areas are being done.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution
There is no known date for FTTPdp anywhere in the UK at the moment as Openreach do not seem to have starting to roll it out to providers yet
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

FTTdp AKA Gfast has been piloted during last year and it is hoped to begin rolling out  from

April at the earliest.

All the Openreach document referring to says is:-

"Subject to the success of these pilots, our plan is to pursue a scale roll-out of G. fast beginning in the 2016/17 financial year.  We will share further details in due course because our plans will be informed by the results of the pilots"

"

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution
I think FFTrN in NI that I've heard about is different to the G.Fast trials that are currently ongoing in Gosfort and one other location.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution
Yes I'm aware of that.

However, given the number of premises in NI that are on very long D side lines, I've read of some FTTrN solutions already being implemented. Whether this is a closed curtains trial or not, I'm not sure about. There are customers on other forums who have it in NI and a couple more have asked about it following discussions with an engineer who was installing some kit near their home.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

@Webby wrote:
I think FFTrN in NI that I've heard about is different to the G.Fast trials that are currently ongoing in Gosfort and one other location.

They are exactly the same.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/02/bt-fttrn-superfast-broadband-tech-trial-goes-live-north...

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/ShowArticle.cfm?ArticleID=1F647C20-6F61-4E0F-A545-E23443E128AB

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution
The terminology FTTrN can be used for a number of solutions.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

Of any solution it is still Fibre To The remote Node be it hung on the pole or in a pit.

Ergo, the same.

0 Ratings