Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

BT 52 max, Sky 79 max?

Go to solution

Hello

i am currently on BT Infinity 2 unlimited fibre and moving house.  BT is quoting between 37 and 52 speeds but sky fibre is saying at this new address they can get between 57 and 79 speeds.  how can this be?  

can i trust Skys claim or could it posibly be I would also actually get better than BT say if they install??

any help or guidance appreciated,

thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT 52 max, Sky 79 max?

Go to solution

Hi there @rbrandon

What does this checker tell you you should get?  Either copy and paste the results here, or take a screenshot and post it here. 

Please remove your phone number from the results before posting, the cab number and exchange is fine to leave. 

I hope this helps. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

thanks for the reply, ghowever i dont have a telephone number for the new address yet and dont know what the other two things this link asks for are...

when i check using the postcode on the usual sites, BT does indeed state up to 52mb.  when i called them to arrange the move service they checked and said between 37 and 52.

i then had a call with Sky today and they checked trhe line and sai dthey could get between 57 and 79 at the new address when i gave them the house number and postcode....

both are quoting for fibre so i dont know what to believe with Sky.  i currently get between 55 and 80 with BT fibre at the address I am about to move from so i wanted as near that as possible.

my question I guess is how Sky, using the same equipment at BT for fibre can get or quote considerably higher speeds??

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

The speed you will get is dependant on distance, unless SKY can change the laws of physics the speeds will be the same as BT. As to which one is correct, that's a different question.  Any speed you are told will only be an estimate, until you are connected the final speed will not be known accurately as there are too many unknown variables.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@rbrandonwrote:

thanks for the reply, ghowever i dont have a telephone number for the new address yet and dont know what the other two things this link asks for are...

when i check using the postcode on the usual sites, BT does indeed state up to 52mb.  when i called them to arrange the move service they checked and said between 37 and 52.

i then had a call with Sky today and they checked trhe line and sai dthey could get between 57 and 79 at the new address when i gave them the house number and postcode....

both are quoting for fibre so i dont know what to believe with Sky.  i currently get between 55 and 80 with BT fibre at the address I am about to move from so i wanted as near that as possible.

my question I guess is how Sky, using the same equipment at BT for fibre can get or quote considerably higher speeds??

Sorry I didn't know you didn't have a service installed. 

As @licquorice has said it's distance dependant. 

I cannot use my number as I am not on the "Openreach" network for my landline, so I use the address checker. 

Here's my results: 

11CT_Address_FTTC_Impacted.jpg

As you can see from where I have highlighted you need to look at the High / Low Figures and both Impacted and Clean on your results. 

That will show you would you should be able to get with "Any" provider.  Remember that only BT Retail provide a 55Mbps product, and 80Mbps is available with all providers inc BT Retail IF your line can support it. 

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Use the address checker arrowed.

2018-04-06 12_37_21-BT Broadband.jpg

Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@pippincp

I knew there was something I missed in my reply, I thought I'd added that as well. 

Thanks for suggesting it. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Feel free to download it for future use.

Highlighted
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Sorry i have been oput for the last couple of hours.  many thanks for the replies.  all very useful.  i guess that BT providing the fibre will provide me with the best possible speed if I opt for them,

thanks again all.  i will report back when i move,

regards

Richard