cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

BT Broadband & line with Halo 1 to Full Fibre 100 & Halo 3

Go to solution

Hi , looking for advice/reassurance please as a non techie.

Been with BT forever and as a loyal customer have an offer to upgrade  from what I have now, Fibre with line FTTC & Halo 1 , to Full Fibre  100 FTTP with  Halo 3, this would be same  cost as my current monthly payment inc the line, my current contract expires in the summer.

On the face of it this seems an excellent offer but I have some questions before deciding.

1. My main socket comes in to the front room where I have my Hub situated , we currently work totally off wi fi with no ethernet connection and the speed is ok for our needs 31mbps Download , 8 Mbps upload , Stayfast gaurentee 25 mbps ; our devices are primarily Laptop in upstairs room and I phones , we dont game or download films etc  so would I be paying for a service speed that we dont really need  . ?

2. The property is served underground by the copper cable and BT say its Fibre ready , how would fibre be piped to the house , would there be any digging up of drives , gardens etc or will the fibre have been pulled through to the existing entry point ?

3.Im told the BT Smart Hub 2 does not yet support the latest Wi FI 6 , when that is available would it mean a new hub or would the Hub 2 have a software upgrade.

4. Is moving to Digital Voice mandatory and would it mean a change of phone number , also does that happen in conjunction with the Broadband upgrade and do my internal extension sockets become redundant.

5. Is Halo 3 recommended , I have Halo 1 but cant say Ive ever used its benefits ?

Think thats it , any advice appreciated 

Thanks you

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT Broadband & line with Halo 1 to Full Fibre 100 & Halo 3

Go to solution

1. For FTTP broadband forget about the master socket as it will be redundant.

2. Yes the existing duct will be used.

3. A new hub supporting WiFi 6 is close to being released.

4. It is more than likely you will be switched to digital voice, phone number will remain the same. Internal sockets can be rewired by you.

5. Only you can decide.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

Just a couple of clarification points please :-

1.& 2. With master socket redundant presume they will use existing duct as you say to bring fibre to the property from the manhole across the road , I would be ok with them using the same entry and fixing the new box where the master socket is , therefore putting the new Hub where the old one was , does that sound ok ?

3. Thats interesting regarding Wi Fi 6 as I work off wi fi all the time , so maybe its best I wait for the new Hub , or could Smart Hub 2 be upgraded to Wi Fi 6 standard  by software update to Smart Hub 2?

4. When I mentioned internal sockets being redundant I meant phone sockets , presumably they will stay insitu but not used again ?

5. Agree , think I would actually value Home Tech support in case of problems now or in the future.

Thanks Ill await your further thoughts

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

@ROWBOTG2 wrote:

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

Just a couple of clarification points please :-

1.& 2. With master socket redundant presume they will use existing duct as you say to bring fibre to the property from the manhole across the road , I would be ok with them using the same entry and fixing the new box where the master socket is , therefore putting the new Hub where the old one was , does that sound ok ?

The Openreach engineer will site the ONT where you want it within reason.

3. Thats interesting regarding Wi Fi 6 as I work off wi fi all the time , so maybe its best I wait for the new Hub , or could Smart Hub 2 be upgraded to Wi Fi 6 standard  by software update to Smart Hub 2?

Why is everybody obsessed with wifi 6?

4. When I mentioned internal sockets being redundant I meant phone sockets , presumably they will stay insitu but not used again ?

Yes, your internal wiring is your responsibility.

5. Agree , think I would actually value Home Tech support in case of problems now or in the future.

Thanks Ill await your further thoughts

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

1&2. It's possible, discuss with install engineer.

3. Sorry I don't have the answer to that.

4. I assumed that but they can be wired to the hub. BT do not offer that service though.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Hi ,

Not obsessed by Wi Fi 6 , if Im honest I dont have a clue about it but just thought as its to be a new version it may give better coverage throughout the property and as I use my laptop most days via wi fi , just wondered if it was worth waiting for ?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

WiFi 6 won't improve your coverage.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

OK thanks

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

And remember that your device you use also needs to support WiFi6. If your device doesn't support wifi6, it will use the previous generation of wifi.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for reply , which with the previous one convinces meet I dont need to wait for Wi Fi 6 and should take the current offer with a Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings