cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CaptK
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT Broadband speed reduced since renewal of contract

Why has my Broadband speed on my line been  reduced from 36Mbps to 28Mbps since contract renewal. 

I was previously on BT Infinity 2.  My broadband speed was currently at 36Mbps  and that was in line with current contract. I checked details of the order I had placed the previous year which had estimated speed 32Mbps to 43Mbps  with minimum speed of 28Mbps.  I  checked https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html and it had A Range 30.3 to 20.9. That did not add up how was my speed at 36Mbps and my contract estimate speed 32Mbps to 43Mbps. A  bit confused. I rang up BT options team to renew my contract and was advised that same speed on BT Infinity 1 and BT Infinity 2 in my area so decided to change to BT Infinity 1 however was worried that a cap may be put on my line as existing contract had stated up to 43Mbps which exceeded current BT Infinity 1 limit of 38Mbps although current BT adsl checker had 30.3 as maximum.  

I monitored my broadband speed morning and evening over the next few days before new contract kicked in and my broadband speed never deviated from 36Mbps range . On the day my new BT broadband contract kicked in the speed dropped to 28Mbps. I immediately rang up BT options team and placed an new order to upgrade to BT Infinity 2 as I assumed 20% speed drop was due to changing to BT Infinity 1 and speeds not the same for my area.  When the BT infinty 2 kicked in the speed stayed at 28Mbps and has been the same ever since.  NB:  Both my BT Infinity 1 and Infinity 2 orders had stated the same broadband details estimated speed 21Mbps to 30Mbps as per adsl checker speed with minimum speed 18Mbps.

Can someone please explain why adsl speed checker was showing A Range 30.3 to 20.9 while I was on a contract of 32Mbps to 43Mbps and receiving a speed of 36Mbps.  Then why speed reduced to 28Mbps while still on BT Infinity 2. 

PS: I had raised an incident with BT but the answer I got back was they couldn't offer be the same speed I was on before as line no longer supports that speed. This does not make sense as my line was working at 36Mbps was no issues until contract was renewed.    

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Broadband speed reduced since renewal of contract

Give is a few days.

What's most likely happened is that G.INP has been removed from your line following the change of product. I've seen this a few times and it usually gets renabled within a week and the speed increases.

Ultimately, if the speed doesn't return, you have little argument, as you're within the estimated range for your line.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
gt94sss2
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Re: BT Broadband speed reduced since renewal of contrac

The current max speed on BT Infinity is 52MB not 40 MB. You should have stayed on Infinity 1 and not upgraded again to Infinity 2.

The speed checker is only an estimate of what lines in your area are capable off - and these will change over time as more customers get fibre and they refine them. A change in the checker itself does not make any difference to the speeds you will actually get on your line.

The reason why your speed probably changed to 28MB is that when you switched Infinity product, it reset variety settings on your line such as g.inp and you need to leave your connection alone so Openreach's equipment can monitoring your line and implement them again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

You should have never been able to order Infinity 2 with those speed estimates.

What I suggest you do is regrade BACK to Infinity 1. Once that regrade has gone through it'll take a few days again to most likely enable G.INP.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Re: BT Broadband speed reduced since renewal of contrac

if you have a hh5 can you go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and post stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi @CaptK and thanks for posting.

I'd have to agree with @Webby here but I'll be happy to double check everything is in order for you if you wish. Just drop me over an email with your details and we'll take it from there. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings