cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

BT Broadband

Hi, I'm just wondering what my options are for getting my master socket moved? It's currently in the hallway and it looks awful - it sticks a mile out of the wall; about the same width as my phone!

Ideally I'd like to have it in the living room so I can connect my TV and Xbox via ethernet for a solid connection. 

I was also wondering if it'd be just as easier to buy a say 10m rj11 cable (if that's the right one - the supposed grey cable) and just run this under the carpet so I could place the router in living room but still have it connected to the master socket.

I appreciate I won't get the master socket moved during the epidemic but once it's safe to do so, I don't think I should have to pay c£130 to get something moved that looks shoddy in the first place. 

Any suggestions / advice much appreciated. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Broadband

@JEvans16 

What BT Broadband package do you have, and which BT Home Hub are you using?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

do you have any extension sockets near where you want the new master.  you will not get it moved for free.  you may be far better when possible to get a local telecom engineer to do the work and far cheaper than openreach

running cable under carpet is not a good idea as often gets worn causing broadband to continually drop out

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

Hi, I've got BT Fibre 1 and the Smart Hub. 

Basically my WiFi on my smart tv is knackered and it'd be cheaper to buy a new TV than get it fixed as its out of warranty so I was just thinking that I'd connect it via ethernet but obviously need my hub closer. 

I was wondering whether upgrading to the complete WiFi and using one of the hub discs would work ie. Place the disc near the TV and connect the TV to the disc via ethernet (from what I've read online, I think that'd work). Though I don't seem to have the option online to upgrade to WiFi complete but nothing a phone call couldn't sort. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

No, only got the one socket. Can local engineers do that? The cabling outside would need replacing as it's too short for the new location. I was under the impression that only BT/Open reach could do this but then I read somewhere that that is actually a load of rubbish.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

probably easier and cheaper getting powerline adapters

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 7

Are they reliable enough for connectivity and speed?
0 Ratings