cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT Broandband does not allow use of anything Google

I missed out this when I applied but it seems that if you try to use any website from Google, e.g. Gmail, Search, Maps, etc, you simply cannot. I am really stack with that now. I am locked out of Gmail with all the work/deadlines while it should be on the main website that Google services are not compatible.

I tried to login through TalkTalk WiFi and it works. So it is not the laptop. I tried all different browsers, all the malware, virus, etc tricks, but there is no problem with the computer and that is why it works with TalkTalk. Am I set for 2 years of misery with no Google or should I pay the penalty and cancel the contract?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Broandband does not allow use of anything Google

Try a factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds.

After you have done that make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

I don’t know why you are having a problem but I can assure you that it’s not the case - I use Chrome, GMail, Google docs, you name it - all without difficulty.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

No it is not that because I use the BT WiFi with the BT Broadband ID. Unless and the BT WiFi Hotspot has disabled Google but then everything else works.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

I actually found an old question about the same problem. So it is a problem but not for everybody.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Can-t-connect-to-Google-sites/m-p/1752041

When I researched about the Quiq protocol, I found out that this is some kind of security feature nick named HTTP3.

I tried the Chrome trick and it worked immediately but only once. Since then it went back to nothing.

I do not know why I can go to the next flat and be able to connect via TalkTalk WiFi and not via the BT WiFi.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Not being a chrome user I'd never come across this error but  quick google shows its been happening since 2015.

This from March 2020 gives a couple of solutions.

https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/fix-err-quic-protocol-error-google-chrome/ 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Exactly. I do not use Chrome as well but I had to test what was going on. So across all browsers, none of them worked. I found the old reply about this protocol and I checked it on Chrome to find out that it made some difference.

But it is not the browser. Something is going on with the connection. Today it worked but there were some people playing with the distribution box outside. Maybe the ongoing upgrades on the network locally affect the connection.

At the moment it works. But it is on and off. The BT engineer will visit on Wednesday. Let's hope that it will work again until then.

0 Ratings