cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 26

BT Capping bandwidth to geforce now

Hi all, I've recently started using Geforce Now which is a cloud gaming platform however I've noticed I'm not getting the same speeds I do while using it as I do with other apps. I usually get 150mbps however in geforce now I'm getting 30mbps constantly which causes a laggy experience along with high packet loss. 

I tried using a VPN and it did indeed uncap my speeds to 150mbps. Is it possible that BT is capping speeds? Is there any way that I can stop it?

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

Re: BT Capping bandwidth to geforce now

BT don't cap seeds.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 26

Clearly BT is doing something when with a VPN the speeds aren't capped.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 26

Without using VPN speedsWithout using VPN speedsSpeedtestSpeedtestWhile using VPNWhile using VPN

Here's the differences between speeds with and without VPN, along with a result from speedtest.net .

Message 5 of 26

This question has been asked and answered countless times not specifically about GeForce Now  and as @pippincp has said, BT don't cap speeds.

It could be the local GeForce server that you are connecting to has a bandwidth cap to maintain a stable experience for all users. When using a VPN you could be connecting to a different server that has more bandwidth availability and therefore has no cap.

Either way, BT are not capping your connection.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 26

@k0les 

Have a read of this buddy.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/bt-s-approach-to-broadband-traffic-management

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Message 7 of 26

It is definitely not the issue as I made sure i'm connecting to the exact same servers and Geforce now even states that the max bandwidth is much higher than 30mbps.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 26

Even so, BT don't cap speeds so there must be another reason

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 26

I'll try giving BT a call today to see but it's just strange that my friends with different ISPs but even slower packages get higher speeds in the app.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 26

@busterboy1 has already posted a link to the official page that states that BT don't cap download speeds or bandwidth. By calling BT to verify something that you've already been told several times is just adding to the higher than usual wait times due to the ongoing situation with covid-19 for absolutely no reason