cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 32

Re: BT Capping

Go to solution

What is your download speed like as a comparison when connected directly to the hub instead of wireless?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 32

Go to solution

@nugget96wrote:

I have the exact same problem! Upgraded to fibre 250 from fibre 100, no change in speeds. They sent me and engineer who showed me the line speeds of 272mb downlpad, I told him that's all well and good but my router is giving me 130/140 max wired.

So they send me another router, no difference. Now they're sending me discs as they say that will pickup my wired speed which I know it won't 😕 seen a few posts now like this, bt have a problem 

What are you using to test this speed? if a pc, what are the capabilities of its network card(s),  it sounds like it could possibly be a 100Mbps card and is maxed out already if your getting 272 to the router.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 32

Go to solution

I am using a GB ethernet interface directly connected to the Home Hub and the ethernet link is working at 1Gb/s. I have used different PCs and they are all capable of handling data transfers at GB speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 32

Go to solution

@tnjradwrote:

I am using a GB ethernet interface directly connected to the Home Hub,  Whats a GB ethernet interface?

and the ethernet link is working at 1Gb/s. I have used different PCs and they are all capable of handling data transfers at GB speeds.

Are you saying your network card is 1Gbps? Whats it set at under properties/ speed and duplex? What speed did you get connecting a cat5e/cat6 directly from the pc to the homehub?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 32

Go to solution

My pc is capable of getting the speeds, used to be with virgin and it happily got over 300mb. There is an issue with the smart hub 2 which bt don't want to acknowledge  

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 32

Go to solution
@nugget96wrote:

My pc is capable of getting the speeds, used to be with virgin and it happily got over 300mb. There is an issue with the smart hub 2 which bt don't want to acknowledge 

Have you turned off smart setup?, have you turned off 2.4ghz wifi and tried connecting to the 5ghz wifi? Are you connecting wired or wireless? Post stats from router and we could be able to help you.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 32

Go to solution

Hi, 

Both my WiFi channels are on, but I don't speed test through them I test hard wired to devices using bt wholesale speed checker. Here's my router technical log 

Product code:Smart Hub 2

Serial number:+091298+2019014172

Firmware version:v0.15.00.06145-BT

Firmware updated:unknown

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.56 15_02_2019

DSL uptime:1 days,00 Hours00 Mins55 Secs

Data rate:44.021 Mbps / 272.293 Mbps

Maximum data rate:44.527 Mbps / 270.525 Mbps

Noise margin:3.3 / 3.3

Line attenuation:0.0 / 35.5

Signal attenuation:0.0 / 35.5

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:3.2 GB Uploaded / 61.8 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:Corona

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel11)

5 GHz wireless network name:Corona

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)

Wireless security:WPA2

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:On

MAC address:18:82:8C:08:A6:49

Software variant:-

Boot loader:0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 32

Go to solution

Unless there is a bandwidth restriction in the Home Hub which is very unlikely there is some point in the network where the data rate is capped. This is not a time of day contention issue as similar speeds are available 24/7. Somewhere in the network either in or upstream of the cabinet there is a cap/restriction applied.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 32

Go to solution

To earlier questions the network and storage systems I use can support internal data transfer rates of 1GB/s or close to 100Mbytes/s. 140Mb/s download is way below any internal thresholds. Seeing my  line speed rate has more than doubled but the data download rate is exactly the same points to a restriction somewhere upstream. I am a retired telecoms engineer so I do understand the technology even if not familiar with the latest equipment.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 32

Go to solution

@tnjradWhich is it? Internal transfer of 1Gb/s or close to 100Mb/s? There's one heck of a difference there. I think you mean 100 MB/s.

You really need to get your head around the following.

1GB/s (data transfer rate) = 8Gb/s (ISP speeds are quoted in bits (b/s) Megabits (Mb/s) and Gigabits (Gb/s)

0 Ratings