cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 32

BT Capping

Go to solution

I have recently upgraded my service on GFast and my download data speed is 140Mb/s but my router stated speed is 388Mb/s, why the difference?

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32

Re: BT Capping

Go to solution

With them speeds, I would guess you're a F100 customer, if so the speeds are as expected, GFast is still FTTC.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 32

Go to solution

The router speed you're looking at is the max speed you're line will handle. If you're on fibre 100, it's capped at around 145mbps. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 32

Go to solution

I have Fibre 250 with Halo2 and my minimum speed guarantee is 150Mb/s

The router is currently connected with a Data Rate of 328Mb/s but the max download speed I can download from any speed test site including BTs is just under 145Mb/s.

The BT Wholesale test site says my IP profile is 319.2Mb/s.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 32

Go to solution

Ahh ok.. in that case if won't be capped at the download speed you're getting. It's probably the device you're downloading on that hitting it's limits. Even if the WiFi card in the device has a theoretical speed of 350mpbs+, there are other factors that will limit the speed... My wife's laptop had a rubbish WiFi card and wouldn't hit over 8mbps on a 140mbps connection. Stuck a WiFi dongle in with 5ghz and it's up to 38mbps... Nowhere near it's it's max...

Also, if you're downloading from P2P your client could be limited in software or the seeder could be limiting upload speeds which again will limit your downloads... 

But if BT say that you're getting XXXmbps, that's what you're getting to the hub. Nothing after that is guaranteed

Message 6 of 32

Go to solution

Also, if you've only upgraded in the last few days it can take a couple of weeks for the line to settle due to DLM

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 32

Go to solution

Thanks for the replies. The BT Wholesale test says I should be getting a faster download rate than I am which makes me think that there was a cap for Fibre100 that has not been changed for the Fibre250 upgrade.Test ResultsTest Results

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 32

Go to solution

have you tried the test using ethernet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 32

Go to solution

Yes, with the GB ethernet directly plugged into the Home Hub. I can transfer large files on the home network at near GB speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 32

Go to solution

I have the exact same problem! Upgraded to fibre 250 from fibre 100, no change in speeds. They sent me and engineer who showed me the line speeds of 272mb downlpad, I told him that's all well and good but my router is giving me 130/140 max wired.

So they send me another router, no difference. Now they're sending me discs as they say that will pickup my wired speed which I know it won't 😕 seen a few posts now like this, bt have a problem 

0 Ratings