Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Ant3000
Contributor
Message 1 of 29

BT Chat Advisor

This is likely going to be a long one so I apologise from the start and will try to shorten as much as possible...

I signed up to Infinity in Jan as soon as it was activated in my area and was quoted and received 79 / 80 Mbps down and 20Mbps up. This was all good however I checked my router stats today as it's showing the downstream as 68.35mbps so I figured I'd start a chat to see if they can help

Got through to edited by mod and asked the question why and he start to go through the process for troubleshooting. I tried to explain that this appears to be an exchange to router problem and that the stats are showing from the router but am told he can't progress without troubleshooting and so to placate this I agree to go along.

Along the process I strip back my system to 2 devices (1 wired / 1 wireless) until finally I reset the router and strip back all of my configurations!!!

Only to be told that all is ok and that this reduction in service is acceptable!! I ask what "is considered acceptable as a reduction in datastream from the exchange to the router?" and am told 10%

At this point it gets weird! 

Me: so if I was quoted 80mbps datastream and I'm getting 67.23 datastream that is more than 10%

We’ve lost the connection between you and BT Chat. Please give us a moment to try to connect you again.

We’ll keep trying to reconnect you in the next 480 seconds.

We’ll keep trying to reconnect you in the next 360 seconds.

Connection resumed.

edited by mod : Are you there?

edited by mod : I am sorry due to inactivity this chat will end in 2 minutes.

Me: The connection dropped and my datastream has increased?

Me: but only to 68.66

Me: which is still less that 10%

We’ve lost the connection between you and BT Chat. Please give us a moment to try to connect you again.

We’ll keep trying to reconnect you in the next 480 seconds.

We’ll keep trying to reconnect you in the next 360 seconds.

Connection resumed.

edited by mod : I am sorry, due to inactivity this chat has ended. If you still require assistance please start another session.Thank you.

edited by mod has disconnected.

Checking my HH5 Event log my "Time and Date" are all over the place and currently showing nearly an hour ahead of time with no further reporting!

Is it me or does it all seem a bit convienient that the converstaion ended as it did?

Why are the HH5 Stats all out of whack?

Should I just accept the drop is service from the agreed and quoted (and what I am paying top whack for) 80mbps to the now (more than acceptable 10%) 68.45mbps?

Be interested to hear the community and moderators thoughts?

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: BT Chat Advisor

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

As you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 29

I'm afraid broadband speed is never guaranteed, there are just too many variables. One of the main problems is the popularity of high speed broadband which causes a large increase in crosstalk affecting speed. The more customers using Infinity in a distribution cable the worse crosstalk gets. I have only ever subscribed to Infinity 1, but have seen my max rate drop from around 60M when I was one of the first connected to around 45M currently. Until BT employ vectoring to overcome the effects of crosstalk, the situation will not improve. However, as far as I'm concerned, Infinity2 is just a triumph of marketing over practicality. Unless you are downloading huge multi GB files on a regular basis or streaming a large number of HD films simultaneously, I seriously doubt you will see any difference between 40M Infinity 1 or 80M Infinity 2 in day to day usage. Just my 2pennyworth, but then my first internet connection was just 300b/s!!

0 Ratings
Ant3000
Contributor
Message 4 of 29

Apologies for the rudemantal screenshots but my screengrab seems to have given up the ghost on the laptop?

Here are some screenpics instead...

Photo 15-03-2015 19 33 27.jpg

Photo 15-03-2015 19 34 38.jpg

Photo 15-03-2015 19 35 22.jpg

0 Ratings
Ant3000
Contributor
Message 5 of 29

I have to admit I may of got a bit carried away when signing up to Infinity 2 partly because of the speeds capable on my line but also as I had been coming of the back of "rural" broadband which peaked out a 2mb!!

But I figure now BT have got me signed up to the Max i should be getting what I paid for

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 29

you are within the speed range for an A rated line I cannot see Openreach doing anything personally
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 29

Your noise margin is higher than normal 6db and your connection time is only 1+ hr is that due to router dropping connection or manual reset?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ant3000
Contributor
Message 8 of 29

So it becomes acceptable to drop to the lower end of the scale (a 20mb difference) despite being encouraged to sign up based on the max performance (which I initially received for several weeks?)

Perhaps it should be acceptable to have my costs reduced by 20% to compensate?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 29

you are connected at 70Mb

0 Ratings
Ant3000
Contributor
Message 10 of 29

They had me perform a manual reset (much against my will! Stripped my network and devices for "troubleshooting")
0 Ratings