Message 11 of 29

Re: BT Chat Advisor

speeds are sold as up to speeds not guaranteed speeds
0 Ratings
Ant3000
Contributor
Message 12 of 29

That's not the conversation I had with the advisor! I even asked "if speeds aren't as expected could I reduce to the 38mbps rate" and she said "yes"

Wouldn't negotiate on price to switch to infinity and am currently being charged £28 month (which is the top end of costs after asking around!)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 29

What did the initial letter from BT say was the estimated speed range? Did you run the dslchecker before you bought the package as the results you posted show estimate 80/69mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ant3000
Contributor
Message 14 of 29

The sign up email states 79 / 80 mbps! I did run the DSL checker but it was a brand new infinity install into the area which is why I was unsure of expectations but was assured by the advisor that I had an excellent line and could be confident to get max speed

I recall I considered taking time to think and then signing up online but the advisor said that by going through the process on the phone she could ensure that the order was processed correctly and that it offered extra assurance
0 Ratings
Ant3000
Contributor
Message 15 of 29

I've been doing a little research and wonder if anyone might be able to explain a little about "crosstalk" and how this might affect my quality of service?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 29

that is your connection speed your download speed will be 77.43mb at its maximum with an 80mb connection speed
0 Ratings
Ant3000
Contributor
Message 17 of 29

But in order to achieve the slightly reduced download doesn't my downstream from the exchange have to be set at the 80mbps? Which it originally was but is now showing at 65mbps?

I actually have a screen grab on my phone from when I 1st signed up showing 79mbps down on a btw speedtest.

Do you think that as more people have signed up to fibre that my speeds have been degraded?
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 18 of 29

It is possible that you are being affected by crosstalk. When vectoring is eventually deployed this will alleviate the problem.

Openreach are concentrating on rolling out VDSL services ATM.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 29

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 20 of 29

Hi Ant3000

As VDSL2 (currently used for FTTC connections) uses the higher frequencies, then these signals are susceptible to interference, known as crosstalk, from other VDSL2 broadband signals being carried along adjacent "copper" line pairs.

More info available from here: http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis

There are new technologies being developed and tested to combat such interference.

From looking at other FTTC broadband subscribers over the past couple of years, it is not unusual for the sync speed to decrease slightly from the initial training period. Potentially due to cross talk and other interference.

It's always best to check the data fromOpenreach via theBT Wholesale database as this will give you a more realistic estimation of what sync rates may be achievable before signing up. The data in the  BT Wholesale database http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl is from Openreach and is regularly updated.

Edit: just seen 

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.