cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nigelapt
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT DNS Servers keep failing to respond - cannot make Customer Services understand!!!!!!!

Hi All

I am just about at the end of my tether over this.

I work from home using a Citrix Web Connection and IP Phone.

Since November the IP Phone started to cut in and out numerous times during the day.  The Citrix session kept dropping too.  Rang BT Customer Service and they blamed my wifi signal and sent out two BT Micro Connectors FOC.  Connected one to Home Hub in hallway and the other in home office.  Issue still persisted.  Gave up using the ip phone and used my home line instead.

Today, very poor performance.  Could not get connected to work.  Browsing websites slow and intermittent.

Getting poor ping responses from diff sites like google, BT, BBC etc.  eg out of 400 pings 70% drop out.

Rang customer service.  Did all the checks at least 3 times.  They are adamant their network is ok and must be something in my home setup.  As a last resort went round the house and turned everything internet related off.  Connected laptop direct to HomeHub with patch cable and tried again.  Same issue with DNS failing the majority of lookups.  Rang customer service again.  Guy convinced me to spend £50 to upgrade my Home Hub 3 to the latest Smart Hub.  Realised my sister just had one of these delivered, called round to her house and borrowed it.

Set it up with just the direct laptop connection and still getting DNS lookup fails over 70%.  When I ask the support team can they check if there are issues with their DNS servers they do not seem to understand what I am talking about.  Keep getting told it must be a wireless issue.  Blue in the face telling them I am not using wireless.

Does not seem to be anyone they can escalate internally to.   Tried to get me to ring a charged technical helpline for issues with home office equipment.  I work in IT support for a bank for 20+ years.  I am ringing BT as a last resort after troubleshooting as best I can myself.

Any advice on getting this sorted would be appreciated.  Smart Hub wont let me update the DNS servers to something else.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT DNS Servers keep failing to respond - cannot make Customer Services understand!!!!!!!

nigelapt wrote: Smart Hub wont let me update the DNS servers to something else.

No, but you can change them on your laptop.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Re: BT DNS Servers keep failing to respond - cannot make Customer Services understand!!!!!!!

Instead of spending £50 on a Smarthub you would be better spending your money on a decent third party router that will allow you to choose which DNS you want to use. VDSLModem/routers start in price at about £30.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Rather than spend £50 on ISP supplied garbage you'd have been better off buying a third party router which would outperform the HH6.

Prices start at £30.

0 Ratings