cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcbrydc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

BT Engineer to fix low BT Infiniti 1 Broadband speeds?

A neighbour and I both dropped to 25 MB download speed when we ordered the 52 MB Infiniti upgrade (from 28 Mb on the previous lower tariff).  After an engineer visit, my neighbour is now currently getting 42Mb download speeds.

I rang the BT Broadband contact number to report mine and spoke to a call taker.  After lengthy discussion, I was getting absolutely nowhere and asked to be passed to someone else.  After much discussion with the second person I was still getting nowhere. The final and only response I got was:

1) we have tested the line and it is all right  (no further discussion possible)
2) your line is different from your neighbours and not capable of the 52 Mb tariff     Your neighbour's line is capable (yeh- after the engineer fixed it).
3) We automatically upgraded every line that was capable of 52 MB.  Yours isn't.   You were sold the new tariff in error
4) we will put you back to the old contract.

Despite much negotiation they refused to have someone check the line and refused to put me in contact with someone who could discuss upgrading my line to be the same quality as my neighbour's (assuming they are actually different -  we are only a couple of hundred yards apart.)

I had to cut the conversation short so I was forced to accept the offer to be put back to the old contract, hoping that the slower line may actually prove quicker to me if there were fewer retries.  

However I am extremely annoyed by being fobbed off so heavily like this by Call Centre personnel.

Is there any way to contact someone sensible in BT technical area to discuss the ramifications of this great disparity in speeds in the same area?   Is there any point in trying to find Customer Services to express my complete dissatisfaction in their support.  If so, where?

Incidently,  the neighbour's speed rose from 25Mb to (currently 42) after the engineer replaced some old wiring in the black box on the outside wall of the house. 

I have a similar black box and would dearly like to have someone at least attempt to improve it. 

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT Engineer to fix low BT Infiniti 1 Broadband speeds?

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

if you have new Hh6 smart hub then go to hub manager then advanced then technical log aand post results

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

are you using the test socket with a new filter even if you have a SSFP

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number Wholesale FTTC

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

if your neighbour is 'a couple of hundred yards' nearer street cab that will may a significant difference in speed with a fibre connection. See this graph

original.png

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 21

The "new" package does not mean every line will get that speed. All it means is that the software cap on the Infinity 1 package has been raised from 40Mbps to 52Mbps. It does not mean that your line is changed in anyway or you were put on a different line so "putting you back on the slower line" is meaningless.

Every line is different so it is not possible to compare one person's line with another. Apart from the condition of the line, the distance of the line affects the speed the line is capable of delivering.

If you were previously getting 28Mbps you were already well below the maximum of 38Mbps on the "old" Infinity 1 so you would not benifit from the "new" package software cap being raised.

The only way you will get Openreach to do anything with the line is if you are below the estimated guaranteed speed that BT quoted you when you took out the package.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

mcbrydc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Thank you for your replies.     I appreciate your help.   I hope the following is the information you are looking for.

I accept that there are variances in lines and these results may just show that my line in its current state is performing as best it can.  My Ip profile seems to be quite low which will probably limit any improvement.   I guess my "unknown" is whether a physical inspection of the wiring would produce any improvement, given that this raised my neighbour from 25 to 42 Mb.

1. Product name:

BT Home Hub

2. Serial number:

+xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3. Firmware version:

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 07/07/15

4. Board version:

BT Hub 5A

5. DSL uptime:

1 days, 00:33:12

6. Data rate:

4516 / 26661

7. Maximum data rate:

4512 / 26686

8. Noise margin:

6.1 / 6.0

9. Line attenuation:

33.8 / 27.6

10. Signal attenuation:

33.8 / 23.6

11. Data sent/received:

149.2 MB / 1.4 GB

12. Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Broadband stats 1.JPG

Broadband stats 2.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

Going by your stats you are within your estimated speeds so I doubt BT / Openreach would attempt to do anything to improve what you already have and going by those stats you will not benefit by the Infinity 1 cap being raised.

Out of interest how far are you from your cabinet?

0 Ratings
mcbrydc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 21

Yes the BT customer service people made it very clear they weren't interested in doing anything.   

I would guestimate I am about 1 mile or so from the exchange which is where I imagine the cabinet is. 

I have always accepted a degradation in service because I am further down the line.  I also appreciated the huge jump from 6Mb ADSL to 28 Mb when I went to fibre.    I could live with 25Mb but I could sure use 42 Mb.   What is most frustrating is that my neighbour had an engineer call to address the wiring from the BT box outside the house and now he is getting 42 MB.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

As I have said, you can not compare your line with your neighbours. They are two separate different lines. I don't think there will be much if anything you can do to get any improvement from what you already have.

0 Ratings
mcbrydc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 21

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

Your neighbour could be served by a different cabinet, or even a different exchange.

They may be off the same cabinet but that doesn't mean the line is routed in the same way.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
mcbrydc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Thanks,  Webby.      We are both on the same exchange and I have confirmation from him that we are on the same cabinet.   I realise our lines could be routed differently however I find it significant that before he had an engineer visit to sort out the wiring from the BT box on his house, we were both on the same speed - ie 25 Mb.    Since the engineer visit, he is now getting 42 MB and his line is rated as up to 50 Mb.

I cannot help but be very frustrated and disappointed that we are attached to the same cabinet and, more importantly, we are paying the same amount for BT Infinity 1,  yet he is getting almost twice the speed that I am.  

Bt Customer Service are blocking me from discussing this with an engineer, which I find unacceptable but which I can do little about. 

0 Ratings