cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 21

Re: BT Engineer to fix low BT Infiniti 1 Broadband speeds?

What does http://www.dslchecker.bt.com show for your neighbours address?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 21

Also, you're no doubt paying the same or less than some customers who cannot get Infinity are are suffering with sub 2meg speeds.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
mcbrydc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 21

This is what  http://www.dslchecker.bt.com shows for my neighbour's address.

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number             on Exchange             is served by Cabinet 3

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High

Low

High

Low

VDSL Range A (Clean)

--

Available

--

--

VDSL Range B (Impacted)

--

Available

--

--

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

ADSL Max

Up to 8

--

7 to 8

Available

--

Yes

Fixed Rate

--

--

Available

--

Yes

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast

--

--

--

Available

--

--

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 21

While I still fail to see the relevance of comparing lines with another person, what was your neighbours estimate Range A before Openreach changed anything?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 21

As predicted, you neighbour either has a much short run of cable to the cabinet, or your line is possibly aluminium.

Your neighbour obviously had a fault on their line which has been fixed. You don't have a fault as you're connecting within the expect range for your line
0 Ratings
mcbrydc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 21

I don't have that figure.  The BT speedtest was 25.7 Mb

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 21

As has already been pointed out, you are within your Range A estimate so there is no reason for BT to report a fault to Openreach for them to investigate.

It may well be that your neighbour was not within his Range A estimate and BT could therefore raise a fault with Openreach to investigate and as a result Openreach fixed the fault and restored his line to within its estimated range.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 21

the speeds BT quote are connection speeds not download speeds from the speedtest as they can vary constantly over a 24 hour period

also your IP profile you refered to in an earlier post is set by your connection speed not the other way around  so unless your connection speed increases your IP Profile will stay the same

0 Ratings
mcbrydc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 21

Herein lies the nub of the question.     We were both getting the same download speeds after we took out the new BT Infinity1 contract.  

However, you say he obviously had a fault on his line but I don't (because I am connecting within the expected range for my line?)    

His line was working, just like mine.  The fact he is now getting 42 MB proves there was a problem (what do we mean by the word "fault").   Our houses are within a couple of hundred yards of each other, we are both connected to the same cabinet and we both have the same grotty old black round BT box bringing BT in to the house.  Why everybody assumes I don't have a fault just because my line is actually working, I don't understand.

Anyway I think we have now exhausted the facts of the situation.    Thanks everybody for your interest and help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 21

You seem to be missing the point. His line was maybe working, just like yours, but it could have been below the Range A estimate hence this would be classed as a fault because his line was not performing within the Range A. Yours is.

0 Ratings